Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIlleting CO2 dragster

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
michaltarfle
1981 Views, 8 Replies

FIlleting CO2 dragster

I can't fillet this...I'm trying to get a gradually incrasing fillet form the nose to around a third from the front, then constant all the way back, but Ii can't really get it to do anything.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
alewer
in reply to: michaltarfle

See attached. Fillet 17 does the job, but it doesn't work unless you create Fillet17 to prepare the edge.

Good luck with your CO2 dragster.

Message 3 of 9
mrattray

Your sketches have many many issues. This is surely why you're having modeling problems downstream. None of your sketches are constrained, I've found missing geometric constraints including missing coincident constraints. I also found extra lines on top of lines. You have too many features unnecessary features as well. It looks like you create a feature, don't like the results, so you create another one to modify it. That is simply not the right way to work in Inventor.
What are you using to learn Inventor?
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 4 of 9
JavaLodge
in reply to: mrattray

In defense of his methods, I think he may be adding features that reflect his workflow. If he's cutting this out of a block of wood (not 100% certain what a CO2 dragster is but I have an idea) then I might follow a similar set of steps to achieve the desired shape.
in reply to: JavaLodge

It's a school project, other students have posted similar projects earlier with almost identical shape.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 6 of 9
michaltarfle

I'm just learning Inventor on a project-by-project basis.

But I definintely agree with you that it could be more streamlined i was
just in a rush to get it finished because it needs to be built by march 2nd

--
Michal J. Turkiewicz
Message 7 of 9
mrattray

It's excusable to make mistakes because you're learning; it's not excusable to make mistakes because you're rushing. How much time did you waste trying to figure out why your fillet didn't work? If you had drawn this right the first time, which would have only taken a small amount of extra time, your fillet would have worked the way you expected it to. If this project was in a production environment you would be causing massive headaches for the guy who needs to do revisions to your model 2 years from now.
I'm not trying to beat you up; I just want to encourage you to learn how to use the software properly.
By the way, I did one of these cars in my high school machining class. I think your design looks really slick.
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 8 of 9
JDMather

@michaltarfle wrote:
I'm just learning Inventor on a project-by-project basis.

Michal J. Turkiewicz

I can help you with a better technique if interested.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 9 of 9
michaltarfle

Yeah I know I'll be more careful in the future.
Thanks for your help.

Yeah I'll just see if I can finish it on time though.

--
Michal J. Turkiewicz

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report