Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

F6 Home View Button Not Working

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
hbohm
2473 Views, 12 Replies

F6 Home View Button Not Working

I've checked everywhere else for a solution but none apply to me it seems. My keyboard shortcut for returning to the home isometric view (F6) is not working. F3, F4, & F5 all work fine. I've tried returning the cursor focus back to the model window and that doesn't work. I also made sure the shortcut is actually listed in the Customize menu, I even reset all to default in case something was changed. Any suggestions? Thanks

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: hbohm

Try a different keyboard?

Message 3 of 13
KevinLi-Autodesk

Hi hbohm,

Thanks for your reporting !!!

I have tried to reproduce this issue, but I am not seeing the same behavior as your have reported. Another way is go to Ribbon, View tab, Navigate panel and click Home View button, you can try it.

Regards,

Kevin Li

Quality Assurance Team

Autodesk, Inc.

Kevin-Hongyuan Li
Software Quality Assurance Engineer
Design, Lifecycle and Simulation Product Group
Direct: +86 21 2039 6025
Email: Hongyuan.Li@autodesk.com
Autodesk, Inc.
NO. 130, Lane 91, E Shan Rd
Building 12, Floor 6,
Shanghai 200127, PRC
www.autodesk.com
Message 4 of 13
hbohm
in reply to: Anonymous

Thought the keyboard might be a possiblity at first but the F6 key works in other applications. Also, I noticed now that when the F6 shortcut doesn't work, CTRL-Z (UNDO) doesn't work either. I have confirmed that no other running applications have any control over those commands/shortcuts.

Message 5 of 13
Bill.Schmid

I found this thread because I was having the same problem and searching for a solution.  The F6 key just up and quit working in Inventor.  It still worked fine in anything else.

In Inventor 2013, I went the Tools ribbon tab, Options panel and selected Customize.  In the Customize dialog box, I clicked the Reset All Keys button and answered Yes to continue.  I then clicked Apply and OK.  That fixed it for me.  Your mileage may vary.

Note, if you've done much keyboard customization in Inventor, that'll all be gone.  But it's not that difficult to reprogram them.

Message 6 of 13
hbohm

So here I am almost a whole year later with a new version of Inventor and even a brand new computer, and my F6 (Home), CTRL+Z (Undo), & CTRL+S (Save) keyboard shortcuts still do not work. I've been searching off and on through-out the previous year, and cannot come across a solution.

I don't carry any customized files forward between each release of Inventor except for the drawing, part, & assembly template files that we have set up for our company. I'd still like someone to shed some light on this issue, at this point I've been used to clicking the home button on the viewcube, so it's more of a curiousity issue than anything. I like my shortcuts, what else can I say?

Message 7 of 13
blair

I would check my keyboard/region settings in Windows. All the keyboard commands work fine and worked fine on previous releases of Inventor (can't ever recall them not working). I use the Ctrl^S to save all the time.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 8 of 13
Bill.Schmid

Wow, I thought ctrl-S and ctrl-Z were pretty much hard-wired into Windows.  I know you said F6 works in other applications, how about ctrl-S and ctrl-Z?

If you go into the Tools tab, Options panel, click Customize and go to the Keyboard tab, are those keys defined?

Message 9 of 13
Paul-Mason
in reply to: Bill.Schmid

The loss of shortcut key will/can also occur when the memory usage meter in Inventor get to 80% to 90% capacity of memory used Ergo the less memory you have the quicker this situation occurs.

A work around it this is to increases the "Paging file size" while this is not as good as adding more RAM it dose have some positive effect

==============
Inventor 2023 Pro
HP Z420 workstation
Xeon 3.7Ghz CPU 8 Cores, 64 GB Ram
64bit (The Garbage known as) Windows 10 Pro
AMD FirePro V3900 (ATI FireGL) (1GB RAM)
=================
Ashington Northumberland (UK) ~ Home to the WORLD FAMOUS Pitman Painters Group
Message 10 of 13
hbohm

Yeah, I use Autocad Electrical all day long and ctrl+s, ctrl+z, ctrl+shift+c, etc. are all second nature to me. They work fine everywhere else. Once I need them in Inventor they don't work. To be clear, I'm not saying that once I open Inventor that I lose functionality in all other programs too, just in Inventor. 

Those shortcut keys are all defined in the customize menu. I even tried assigning it as a shortcut to my extra mouse buttons and it wont work. I've also tried assigning an alias key to the Home command and that didn't work. I have clicked reset to default on numerous occasions to no avail.

The amount of RAM shouldn't be a problem, I have 8GB total and when I'm using Inventor it's usually the only program open. Also, the parts & assemblies we work on here are never very large. The RAM usage meter never gets over 40-50% unless I'm doing some photo rendering or video walkthroughs.

Very briefly, once in a blue moon, it will all the sudden work for some reason, but as soon as I close out or switch to a new model/assembly it doesn't work again. Thanks for all your responses.

Message 11 of 13
Anonymous

Hello everybody...

I know this thread is already pretty old, but I want to post the solution that worked for me.

Actually... it is a kind of a wired behavior in Inventor 2012.

Our company just switched from Inventor 2009 to Inventor 2012 and… I don’t like it at all. I hate Microsoft for coming up with this awkward Ribbon interface and now all major software developer following this crap – IMHO.

Anyway… what I figured is… on the title bar at the right side is the “Info Center”. There is on the left a search bar to type in a keyword or phrase. Left of this field is an arrow, which toggles between showing this the search bar or not.

If this field is toggled off, the F6 – Home View function will not work. If you go back and toggle it on, the F6 key will work again. At least that solved the problem for me.

Hope this can help somebody, even thought, that most people working with newer versions now.

Message 12 of 13
SBix26
in reply to: Anonymous

I recall that someone else figured that out several years ago.  If you're curious you could do a little searching to find out which version(s) that applied to.  It hasn't been a problem for the last several versions now.  

Question: why on earth are you "upgrading" to a version so old that it's no longer supported?!

Sam B

Inventor Professional 2016 Update 2
Vault Basic 2016
Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit, SP1

Message 13 of 13
blair
in reply to: SBix26

Good question, the first thing I would do is make sure that all Service Packs and Updates have been installed.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report