Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extrusion Enhancement Idea

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
ad64
509 Views, 8 Replies

Extrusion Enhancement Idea

A great enhancement to Inventor (IMHO) would be an extrude "From" option. This option would give the ability to extrude by "Distance" but from another surface other than the sketch plane.

When modelling top down, one often has cross-section sketches with components in the cross-section that are not symmetrical about the sketch plane. You can use assymetric distance extrusion in this case, but now you have to figure out how to divide your length formula into two parts so that the right proportion falls on each side whenever the model changes to a different size.

An extrude "From"  option would work much better. Using this option you could pick the surface on which you wanted to start the extrusion and enter a distance formula. The part is now fully parametric. This option would be sort of like the opposite of the extrude "To" option except you could supply a distance for the part length allowing the part to begin at the "From" plane and stop short of the sketch plane or continue on through it an assymetrical amount.. It would also be like the "Between" option except that you would supply a distance rather than a second surface when the second surface is not readily available.

Would anyone else find this enhancement useful?  Perhaps something like this already exists and I am just not aware of how to do it.

Steve

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
khornocker
in reply to: ad64

SolidWorks has this and its great.

Message 3 of 9
nmunro

I like it! You could use the following work around in some cases today.

1.  Create a work plane offset from the "From" surface (gives you a distance to play with).
  2.  Use the Between option for the extrude. Between the "From" surface and the offset work plane.

You can then adjust the extrusion distance by updating the work plane offset.

https://c3mcad.com

Message 4 of 9
MingweiGao

A good suggestion, Steve! A wish list has been logged into our tracking system and the ID is 1471675.

Steven Gao

Sr. SQA Engineer

Message 5 of 9
ad64
in reply to: MingweiGao

Is there any way to check the status of this idea using the tracking number (1471615) in Ideastation or otherwise?

Steve

Message 6 of 9
MingweiGao

Hi Steve,

This only can be checked in our internal issue tracking system and I saw it(1471675) is confirmed and still on Open status.

Steven Gao

Sr. SQA Engineer

Message 7 of 9
ad64
in reply to: MingweiGao

What does "Open" status mean? Should I also add it to Ideastation so that it can get more visibility and therefore be more likely to be included in Inventor in the near future?

Steve

Message 8 of 9
mcgyvr

@ad64 wrote:

What does "Open" status mean? Should I also add it to Ideastation so that it can get more visibility and therefore be more likely to be included in Inventor in the near future?

Steve

There are more than likely hundreds of "requested features" in the open status.. It means it could be in the next release or nothing will happen at all. Pretty sure that request has been submitted many times over already but other users, and we haven't seen it yet.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 9 of 9
Xun.Zhang

Hi Steve,

Have you try Inventor 2018 Alpha or Beta builds? it seems your desired behavior around the corner.

Xun

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report