Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extruding or Offsetting a 3d Sketch?

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
aaron
1352 Views, 8 Replies

Extruding or Offsetting a 3d Sketch?

I am getting stumped on one of the features for our parts. I am trying to extrude the defined area along the curve seam in the range of .06-.13. You will notice the defined area on the left side. 

Mathematically, the area stays the same distance away from the curve seam edge, so I can't loft it or draw it in any other 2d sketch feature. 

Any help at all would be appreciated. File attached. 

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
GSE_Dan_A
in reply to: aaron

Draw your rectangular shape  (1.25 x 0.06) on the top flat surface.  Do a Sweep.  Be sure to select Path & Guide Surface. Use your 3D Sketch as the Path and select the concaved face as the Surface.  You may need to trim the bottom where the extrusion sticks out past the face.

GSE Consultants Inc.
Windsor, ON. Canada
Message 3 of 9
JDMather

It looks to me like you might want to Split the face and then Thicken/Offset (turn off Automatic Blending).

(the 3d sketch2 isn't needed -use the swept surface to split the face(s).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 4 of 9
aaron
in reply to: GSE_Dan_A

I tried but I didnt get the function to work. I think the issue is in my 3d sketch, because it is selecting it as one big loop, if that makes any sense. 

I have attached my file of the rectangular sketch I drew. 

Message 5 of 9
aaron

JD. I will look into your solution as well. I am not well versed in 3d sketches, and my knowledge is very limited. 

Message 6 of 9
aaron

JD. That worked, but I understood nothing that happened. At least I got the result I was looking for. 

What does splitting the face do? Is there a way to cut that defined area? What I trying to draw is what we call a seam strap. In most cases they are projected outward from the main plane. We do have a reverse seam strap where the actual strap is behind the main plane. Would be nice to be able to draw that too. Thanks!

Message 7 of 9
aaron

Nevermind, that was a dumb question. I just need to thicken/cut. I understand all that happend, quite simple. Thanks again!

Message 8 of 9
JDMather

If you are doing multi-body solids - you might set to New Body when creating a Thicken (sometimes I cut and then Thicken again with the New Solid to create the solid that goes into the spot I just cut).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 9 of 9
GSE_Dan_A

When you do the 3D Sketch, Project only the edge of the concave surface.  This will be your rail for the rectangle to follow.  JDs solution seems easier.  With my solution, as mentioned, requires some clean up at the bottom.

aaron - Inventor Help.jpg

GSE Consultants Inc.
Windsor, ON. Canada

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report