Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extrude so that end gets thinner

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
maria9876
477 Views, 4 Replies

Extrude so that end gets thinner

I'm using the extrude tool so that the rectangle that I'm extruding (downwards) will taper (and become thinner at the bottom). However, when I do this, even as a fraction (.01) it seems to get bigger at the bottom. How do I make it thinner at the bottom, not bigger? Thanks.

Tags (2)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
mpatchus
in reply to: maria9876

Enter a negative value.

Mike Patchus - Lancaster SC

Inventor 2025 Beta

Alienware m17, Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10980HK CPU @ 2.40GHz 3.10 GHz, Win 11, 64gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below. 🙂
Message 3 of 5
maria9876
in reply to: mpatchus

That worked well, but how do I taper only the width of the recetange, not the length?

Message 4 of 5
mpatchus

Taper will apply to the entire shape.

To do something like what you are stating, I'd suggest using a Loft with two defined sketches, as shown below.

loft.JPG

Mike Patchus - Lancaster SC

Inventor 2025 Beta

Alienware m17, Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10980HK CPU @ 2.40GHz 3.10 GHz, Win 11, 64gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below. 🙂
Message 5 of 5
Yijiang.Cai

Please try the face draft after extrude. First you could create extrusion without tap, then add face draft.

Thanks,
River Cai

Inventor Quality Assurance Team
Autodesk, Inc.
Email: River-Yijiang.Cai@autodesk.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report