Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extrude Cut from 3D Sketch (or something like it)

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
tvernonbaker
6265 Views, 6 Replies

Extrude Cut from 3D Sketch (or something like it)

I know my subject is somewhat mis-named, because I gather that you cannot really extrude from a 3D sketch, however I am looking for a way to accomplish what extruding a cut from a 3D sketch would accomplish.

The problem is this: I have a simple 2D sketch that I've projected onto a curved surface (imagine a square projected onto the outside of a hollow cylinder). Now that I have a 3D sketch on the surface of the cylinder, I want to use that sketch as a "cookie cutter" through one wall of the cylinder.

If I were to simply extrude the cut from the 2D sketch, the "cookie" is wider at the edges than at the center. I want the cut to be perpendicular to the projected 3D sketch at all points. 

I've attached a simple example that illustrates my problem.

Can anyone help? Thank you in advance!

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
JDMather
in reply to: tvernonbaker

Split and Thicken-Cut

Emboss might also be a solution.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 7
tvernonbaker
in reply to: JDMather

Thanks!

Message 4 of 7
Desolationism
in reply to: JDMather

I know this is old, but good god, you just saved me so much time.  We do a lot of odd shape and transition HVAC style ducting, this saves my life!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Message 5 of 7

I second Deisolationism's enthusiasm for this old post.  This saved me from I don't know how many projected sketches, work planes, and clutter in my tree.

Thanks and kudos.

Steve

Tags (2)
Message 6 of 7

Hi! This is an old post. On Inventor 2016 and later, you can use Ruled Surface command and select a 3D Sketch to extrude in a given direction. Then you can use the surface to split or sculpt a body.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 7 of 7

Thanks! I'm running 2015, so I'll look for that when/if we upgrade to a
newer version.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report