Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extract feature

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
1122 Views, 10 Replies

Extract feature

Is there a way to extract  the cavity (C015-G) from the block on the workpoint of the block

Greetings Cor

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
JDMather
in reply to: Anonymous

Do you mean subtract or extract?

also,

your sketch is missing a dimension.

Extract iFeature.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 11
JDMather
in reply to: JDMather

If you meant subtract one part from another - then I would have Derived Component the C015 into a blank file and THEN create the block at the proper orientation and Split or Sculpt.

The way you have it modeled you will have to Move and Rotate the component to get it in correct location - a lot of extra work.

Derive Component.PNG

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 4 of 11
JDMather

Looking at your part again I suspect that you want to extract an iFeature to use to cut a hole of this shape at any desired location on any desired part.

Create the feature on the block (on a face, not a workplane) and then extract the iFeature.

In fact, I would extract it as a Punch tool even though it isn't a sheet metal feature.

Punch features can be then placed exactly like Holes automatically finding sketch center points.

Please give more information on design intent for further instructions.

Message 5 of 11
JDMather

If your design intent was only to subtract one part from another - see attached.

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous

I mean substract

Message 7 of 11
Yijiang.Cai

Please see the workflow below to accomplish your requirement -

1. Create one assembly with two components you provided

2. Make two components positional with each other

3. Save the assembly

4. Derive the saved assembly with substract option and "C015-G" selected, and click OK

That will make the result you expected.

Thanks,
River Cai

Inventor Quality Assurance Team
Autodesk, Inc.
Email: River-Yijiang.Cai@autodesk.com
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous

Hello JDI think that means that I can?t create the hole with a revolve (because I therefore need a plain) I also can?t make a punch because I need a centerpoint Perhaps you can show me how Met vriendelijke groeten, mit freundlichem Gru?, Kind regards, Cor de Vlaming Constructeur / Tekenaar Logobakker Bakker Hydraulic BV Nijverheidsweg 6 6662 NG Elst ( +31 (0)481 374757 6 +31 (0)481 375280 * info@bakker-hydraulic.com ? http://www.bakker-hydraulic.com
Message 9 of 11
mrattray

I would recommend making this as a punch feature, per JD's suggestion. It's no more work than deriving it in as a boolean, and would then allow you to reuse it in the future.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 10 of 11
JDMather

@Anonymous wrote:
Hello JDI think that means that I can?t create the hole with a revolve (because I therefore need a plain) I also can?t make a punch because I need a centerpoint....

I will try to work up an example when I get a chance.
It is not very hard to do.

Message 11 of 11
Anonymous

oke

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report