Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extend and contract from a work plane while editing a solid

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
smallik
1988 Views, 9 Replies

Extend and contract from a work plane while editing a solid

Hi all,

Does anyone have an easy method of how to create a work plane, say, in the middle of solid while editing, to use the extend and contract commands using IV2014?  I'd like to avoid using Fusion as an option if possible.  This should really be an easy thing to pull off as many STLs are now available for 3D printing but simply need a quick stretch here and there to print accuarately.

Thanks

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
JDMather
in reply to: smallik

Can you attach example file here?

If the two end faces are planar parallel you can create a workplane midway by selecting them.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 10
smallik
in reply to: JDMather

Here's an example part where I would like to simply and quickly stretch the long horizontal mid-section by an eighth of an inch or so while maintaining all the dimensions of the end features.  As you can see my work features are ghosted.  If I could add and then select a plane anywhere on that mid section, I'd be good to go.  So what do you suggest?

Thanks

Message 4 of 10
JDMather

I recommend you attach the *.ipt file.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 5 of 10
smallik

OK.  Here's the actual part I'd like to extend/stretch. There is a hidden plane in the model where the extend should take place from if I could select it from the edit solid mode.

Thanks

Message 6 of 10
JDMather

I just realized that my earlier instructions can't work because the plane must exist earlier in history than the part - a child cannot exist before it's parent.

There is a work-around that is not too difficult (assuming Construction Environment is set up in Application Options).

(I haven't tried with Repair Environment, but I assume it would be the same.)

Make the plane.

Copy the object to Construction (or Repair) Environment.

Delete the original.
Promote (Copy Object) the back to the modeling environment.

Another option would be to create the plane.

Measure the distanced (Ctrl C to copy).

Roll up the EOP above the object and this time create the workplane from one of the Origin planes (if parallel) using the saved offset distance (Ctrl V).

There are other options as well.

Move Face (but that might be a bit of work).

Download Feature Recognition.

Fusion 360 (non-history based modeler)

I assume this particular problem could also be solved simply by using the YZ Origin plane, but that you were looking for a more general solution.

Message 7 of 10
smallik

Thanks for the proposed work arounds.  I'll give them a shot.

Message 8 of 10
smallik

I figured out how to accomplish my needed extend / contract function based on your first (somewhat abbreviated) suggestion.  This will save a lot of time on more complex parts.  I still wish Autodesk would make planes available for the extend / contract command without going through the extra steps.

Thanks much!

Message 9 of 10
samZ485F

My workflow would be to use the split command with split solids enabled to split the part in half into 2 solids, direct edit to move the one solid in the desired direction, direct edit the cut face (move face) to join with the opposite cut face, then use combine solids to rejoin the part as one.  This is what I've done in the past and it works with no issues.

Message 10 of 10
arodriguezD3CBG
in reply to: samZ485F

I had the same issue. This way worked perfectly for me. Thank you for the suggestion!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report