Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exporting information from one file to another when using make components

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
kmiller
219 Views, 2 Replies

Exporting information from one file to another when using make components

Hi all,

Have a question.  We usually create our assemblies and parts by modeling up solid bodies in one part file and using the make components command to create the individual parts and assemblies.  I would like to either use properties or parameters in the initial part file to put in project information and have it carry over into the individual parts after using make components.  That way the drafter has to put the information into one file and not 100+ when all the part files are made.  Is this possible??  I would love to do it with text type parameters but unfortunately haven't been able to do this since you can't export them (unless I am missing something).  The end goal is to be able to put a parts list on a shop drawing grabbing the assembly but pulling custom information from the parts and trying to minimize the amount of work the user has to do by going in each part and adding the information. 

Any suggestions??

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If this response answers your question please click "Accept as Solution".
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
kmiller
in reply to: kmiller

OK,

I got parameter files to transfer from main part file before running make components to individual part files.  Things seemed good here.  Except text parameters don't work (could use iprop but don't know how to tie those together for transferring)  and the parameters that come through are not set to export even though they are set that way in the initial part file. 

Anyway around this?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If this response answers your question please click "Accept as Solution".
Message 3 of 3
miechh
in reply to: kmiller

Was asking myself the same question. Would be a good option to implement in the "Make Components"-function; the ability to select and transfer iProperty data from the multibody source-component to the new parts. We have several custom iProperties that must be filled in, in order to populate the BOM of the assembly in which they are placed.

Product Design Suite 2024
Inventor 2024 (v 28.20.27200.0000), Vault Basic 2024
Fusion 360
HP Workstation Z4
Intel Xeon 3.4GHz
32GB RAM
Windows 10 Professional (64bit)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report