Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Export .idw to Autocad .dwg failure - no dialog box & error msg is only result.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
llee
2551 Views, 11 Replies

Export .idw to Autocad .dwg failure - no dialog box & error msg is only result.

As the thread title states, my .idw to Autocad .dwg export fails & produces no output whatsoever.

In the Export/Save-As dialog, when I select Autocad .dwg & then click the "Options" button, the windows blue-circle briefly flickers and then there is no other activity - the options dialog simply never appears.

If I click the "Save" button, I get a "Problems encountered while saving the document." message box.
Behavior is identical whether selecting "export" or "save-as" in the menu - simply doesn't work or produce ANY output other than the error message.

Export did work with this installation - don't know at what point it was "broken" - my guess is after one of the Service Pack installations?

Inventor .dwg & .dxf export appear to work fine still.

Any assistance will be most appreciated - Thanks!

~Kerry

2013 Product Design Suite, SP1.1, Update 2 installed.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
blair
in reply to: llee

Export>Eport to DWG>Save as type:

Double check you are in the Export and not Save-As area.

Can you open your Autocad product.

Installing .NET 4.5 seems to solve a number of problems the last while. Not sure what is going on with .NET 4.0 and Microsoft Windows.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 12
llee
in reply to: blair

Thanks for the suggestion.  I tried installing (re-installing?) .NET 4.5, but see no change.

I've tried both export & save-copy-as, they function identically & apparently in the same dialog window (except for the file-type options presented) on my home machine where export isn't "broken".  Exporting to dwg is something which I've done thousands of times & continue to on my other machine - something is definitely glitched-up with the software.

Autocad does appear to function fine - I can open an Inventor.dwg, and save it as an older dwg format.  Also, Inventor saves to Inventor.dwg, dwf, pdf, jpg, etc. format just fine  - it seems to only be an issue with the Acad.dwg export.

Nothing but a brief blue-circle flicker when I click "Options", and "Problems encountered when saving the document" message when I hit "Save".

Any other suggestions out there before I suck it up and do a re-installation?

Thanks,

~Kerry

2013 Product Design Suite, SP1.1 Update 2 installed.

Win7Pro-64

ASUS Rampage 3, i7-960, 24GB

nVidia GTX560

Message 4 of 12
Curtis_Waguespack

Hi llee,

This seems unlikely based on your description above, but is it possible the Options dialog is just coming up off screen?
 If so this link might help:

http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com/2011/01/missing-dialog-box.html

Just something to rule out I suppose.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 5 of 12
llee
in reply to: Curtis_Waguespack

No sir, the cursor/focus remains on the export dialog box after that brief flicker, so it doesn't appear that the Options dialog is opening at all.  That was the first thing I thought when this problem cropped-up.

I have experienced the off-screen dialog issue before & use that move trick occasionally.  I think it was that tip on your site with I landed on for the solution a couple of years ago - so thanks for that!

Message 6 of 12
cnewmanVIK

Just wondering if you ever found a fix for this or if you ended up re-installing?  I have a co-worker that is having the same problem.  Inventor 2013 Ultimate, was SP1, but updated to SP2 and still have the problem.

Message 7 of 12
tehumbert

Having this same problem. Any tips? I am currently using Inventor Profession 2013 SP2. My boss needs to insert this assembly into a bigger assembly in AutoCAD and I am having trouble exporting it for him to insert. 

Message 8 of 12
cnewmanVIK

We tried a few different things here.  Nothing worked, so we ended up re-installing Inventor.  That fixed it up.

Message 9 of 12
jferrell77

I just had a user with this same problem. I installed all service packs and updates for Inventor and AutoCAD and that didn't work. I was just about to re-install when I found the solution.

Somehow his default program for .dwg files had been set to Fusion. I changed the default back to AutoCAD and that fixed the problem. Hope this helps someone.

Message 10 of 12
jeeles123

I was having this same issue. I tried some of the suggestions but ended up going to uninstall programs in control panel and as you uninstall you are given the option to add an remove features. In there there was a restore defaults button that worked for me.

Jim

Message 11 of 12
huayu318
in reply to: jeeles123

1) Press [Windows] key to open the Windows' start page

2) Type "cmd" to find "Command Prompt" > right mouse click on it

> select "Run as administrator"

3) On "Administrator: Command Proompt" window, type

cd "c:\program files\autodesk\Inventor 2013\bin"

then

inventor /install

4) Wait for 1 min (inventor will be executed background then exit silently

Message 12 of 12
mb-ga
in reply to: huayu318

Hello,

I have the same problem (error saving file to Autocad dwg) with Inventor 2017 R3 (.net 4.6)

I was trying to:

-Inventor reset utility

-re-registering inventor in system (inventor /install)

-reinstall inventor

-TrueView works ok

I have no idea what this is 

??

Thank for reply

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report