Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Export .IDW to Autocad .DWG - title block name issue

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
ANDYSHIPP8571
2380 Views, 8 Replies

Export .IDW to Autocad .DWG - title block name issue

Our customer provided us with their border and title block in AutoCad .DWG format. The border and title block are together in a file called "D-Border".

Since we work in Autodesk Inventor, and since title blocks must be located in drawing resources to be able to use them when creating .IDW drawings in Inventor, we imported the "D-Border" .DWG file into an Inventor .IDW format and located the "D-Border" .IDW file in "Title Blocks" under "Drawing Resources"

After we create the new designs as Inventor .IDW drawings, we export the completed drawings back to AutoCad .DWG format so the customer can incorporate these drawings with the rest of their AutoCad drawings in the "Vault" system.

We don't have AutoCad here or use the Vault system at this time, but the customer tells us they use the "D-Border" name or "attribute" to search for drawings in their vault system, but apparently when we export the .IDW drawing to AutoCad .DWG format, the export process adds the path name "Title Blocks" to the "D-Border" name so it looks something like Title Blocks/D-Border".

Attached is a sample AutoCad .DWG drawing resulting from the export process.

Your assistane is greatly appreciated.
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
swhite
in reply to: ANDYSHIPP8571

You might try exporting the drawings to autocad without the border, and placing their autocad border in that drawing, this way it will retain its original format. pain in the **** yes, but until people realize Inventor is the only way to go, we must babyset them 🙂

Steven White
Lee C. Moore, Inc.
www.lcm-wci.com
Inventor 2011
Intel Dual Xeon E31225 @ 3.1 GHz CPU
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600 GPU
Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Message 3 of 9
ANDYSHIPP8571
in reply to: swhite

Thanks for the idea.

I think that is what we are basically doing right now, but we don't have
AutoCad in our organization so I think that means the customer has to do
that on their end. We are trying to avoid that but I don't know how we can
do it for them with AutoCad.

Andy Shipp, PE
Professional Forklift Engineering Services
Mt. Pleasant, SC
www.forkliftcapacitycalculator.com

The contents of this e-mail are confidential to the ordinary user of the
e-mail address to which it was addressed and may also be privileged. If you
are not the addressee of this e-mail you should not copy, forward, disclose
or otherwise use it or any part of it in any form whatsoever. If you have
received this e-mail in error, please notify us by telephone or e-mail the
sender by replying to this message, and then delete this e-mail and other
copies of it from your computer system.
Message 4 of 9
PaulMunford

Cn you stick with an Inventor DWG instead of using IDW?

Autodesk Industry Marketing Manager UK D&M
Opinions are my own and may not reflect those of my company.
Linkedin Twitter Instagram Facebook Pinterest

Message 5 of 9
ANDYSHIPP8571
in reply to: PaulMunford

No because we create the new designs in Inventor which creates .IDW drawings
and then we have to export them to AutoCad .DWG for the customers files.

I saw a post in a discussion group from a few yesrs back where someone was
talking about this isssue and they had a fix for it but I couldn't get any
response on how they did it.

We don't use Vault, but is it possible to change the attribute search
criteria to include the new title block name to search for drawings in
Vault?

Andy Shipp
?
Message 6 of 9
swhite

You can directly save an idw to a dwg in Inventor without exporting and it will open in autocad. The problem is that things will not be directly editible or searchable.

To answer your question about searches, yes, inventor uses those same attributes in vault to keep track of drawings and files. But these are lost in the conversion process from idw to dwg. If they had Inventor they would be able to search any of their autocad drawings or inventor drawings through vault, by any attribute. If they do not want to upgrade to Inventor, then the pain in the a... solution is the only one for now. They will simply have to replace the title block, or your company needs to purchase the suite which includes autocad as well, or at least one license so someone can put the borders on the dwg's and retain the attributes. Really about the only solutions right now until inventor saves all the attributes as well.

Steven White
Lee C. Moore, Inc.
www.lcm-wci.com
Inventor 2011
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600 GPU
Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Message 7 of 9

Saving the .IDW drawings directly as Inventor .DWG drawings may be a workable solution however it appears that the drawing border shifts when we do this, so the border is not centered on the sheet anymore.

Message 8 of 9
swhite

Try doing like we do. We made a template, saved that as a dwg for Inventor, and use that template when we save to dwg.

But I doubt it as we made the borders in inventor, but if you do a lot of business with this company you might consider taking the time to remake that border in Inventor.

Could you makle a border in Inventor, and just import the title block part of the autocad into the title block folder, without the border? This may prevent it from shifting.

Steven White
Lee C. Moore, Inc.
www.lcm-wci.com
Inventor 2011
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600 GPU
Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Message 9 of 9
quangnguyen2FWX7
in reply to: swhite

I think i am experiencing same issue, i can not control the name of drawing frame  when exporting to dwg, it always add the prefix " Borders" before the name "default Border"

In below image, what i want is: block name (drawing frame) should be Default Border not Borders Default Border.

quangnguyen2FWX7_0-1605848345493.png

quangnguyen2FWX7_1-1605848561127.png

I attached idw and dwg after exporting. thank in advanced

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report