Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Excel installation is required for this operation. Failed to launch Excel

19 REPLIES 19
SOLVED
Message 1 of 20
kirdzik
6081 Views, 19 Replies

Excel installation is required for this operation. Failed to launch Excel

I get the following error when trying to create or use and ipart/iassembly.

"Excel installation is required for this operation. Failed to launch Excel."

I am using...

MS Windows 7 Professional

Inventor 2014 Professional SP1 Build:222

Microsoft Excel 2013 (MS Office Pro Plus)

Based on earlier searches...

I do not have Microsoft Excel 14.0 Object Library but I do have the 15.0 library.

19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
mcgyvr
in reply to: kirdzik

Have you used excel yet..

Close Inventor.. Open Excel..restart computer..restart Inventor and try again. 

Was Excel added after Inventor?

Was Excel opened before Inventor was installed?

Is Office pro plus a trial edition?

and some more questions.. just tell us how everything was installed on your computer..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 20
blair
in reply to: mcgyvr

Have you opened Excel and accepted the EULA agreement? Inventor requires that Excel be run at least once and the user license has been accepted.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 4 of 20
kirdzik

I did do close inventor, open excel and restart inventor.
I updated excel to 2013 after I had inventor installed.
I try repairing Inventor.
I also tried uninstalling and then reinstalling Inventor.

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and
intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they
are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify
the system manager.

This footnote also confirms that this email message has been swept by
MIMEsweeper for the presence of computer viruses
Message 5 of 20
kirdzik
in reply to: blair

I have run Excel.

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and
intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they
are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify
the system manager.

This footnote also confirms that this email message has been swept by
MIMEsweeper for the presence of computer viruses
Message 6 of 20
kirdzik

I got a response from Autodesk Customer support with the following link that fixed my problem.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=14079866&linkID=9242018

Message 7 of 20
Are_42

The link is broken, do you remember what you did to fix it?

Message 8 of 20
keelerpd
in reply to: Are_42

Has anyone been able to fix this problem?  We updated to Office 365 and I have a single user who gets the "excel installation is required for this operation, Failed to launch Excel".  We are running the Office 365 cloud version, but I have multiple other clients with no issue.

Please help.

Message 9 of 20
blair
in reply to: keelerpd

I know that Inventor looks for Excel.exe on the local machine. Possibly try a different User Account on this machine. Also take a look if Excel.exe can be found on this machine. I don't think that if it's Cloud Based or not as long as Inventor can see the executable program and can then run it, it should be fine. If the user can double click on a Excel file and Office opens up it should be fine.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 10 of 20
JDMather

I don't know if this is relevant - but you might check.  Use care!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 11 of 20
keelerpd
in reply to: JDMather

nope....didnt work.  I only changed the one "UseExceltoOpenThread" value.  NO JOY!

Message 12 of 20
keelerpd

Blair. I have two other users (actually 10) that have the exact set up. Office 365 and AI on their machines and this is the only one that is having the issue.
Message 13 of 20
blair

Try a different User Account on the machine in question.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 14 of 20
keelerpd

The user is a admin on the machine. Unless you are thinking that the local user profile is messed up. I have uninstalled Office365 and reinstalled it. No joy there either. Don't take this as insulting, and I appreciate the help, but we pay $10,000 PLUS for a seat of Inventor, you would think that I could actually talk to a LIVE person for support somehow.
Message 15 of 20
mcgyvr

@keelerpd wrote:
The user is a admin on the machine. Unless you are thinking that the local user profile is messed up. I have uninstalled Office365 and reinstalled it. No joy there either. Don't take this as insulting, and I appreciate the help, but we pay $10,000 PLUS for a seat of Inventor, you would think that I could actually talk to a LIVE person for support somehow.

There is phone support available..

This forum is NOT Autodesk Technical support.. We/blair,etc.. are just users of Inventor that seem to have nothing better to do with our time 🙂  We don't get paid for this.. 

You can submit a support request or get phone support if your subscription includes it (advanced or enterprise subscription) from here.

http://subscription.autodesk.com/

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Message 16 of 20
keelerpd

I understand that, and I appreciate the help. I have been trying to get the support and we have subscription support. I am one of the old school guys who likes to pick up the phone and call. 🙂
Message 17 of 20
mcgyvr

So now that you have reinstalled office.

Try logging into that users machine with your account (or another admin account) and see if it works..

Then back to their account..

Can you open excel via excel.exe?

Did you try to do a clean uninstall/reinstall of Inventor after reinstalling Inventor? (maybe try a repair first)

Message 18 of 20
keelerpd

Excel works fine outside of Inventor. I have not tried the repair on Inventor yet, and have not re-installed. I am new to supporting inventor and have to find the media to be honest.
Message 19 of 20
blair

Register Inventor: 1) Press [Windows] key to open Windows' start page 2) Type "cmd" to find "Command Prompt" > right mouse click on it > select "Run as administrator" 3) On "Administrator: Command Prompt" window, type cd "c:\program files\autodesk\Inventor 2014\bin" > Enter 4) Type inventor /install > Enter 5) Wait for 1 min (inventor will be executed background then exit silently)

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 20 of 20
4donwan4

I wanted to post this since the link is broken. This would involve the Inventor Reset Utility.

This utility will reset the user registry information.

Regards,

Don

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report