Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor File Copy Error On Save Access Is Denied

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
JustinVoltz7541
1135 Views, 12 Replies

Inventor File Copy Error On Save Access Is Denied

So I copied a file and renamed it a new file. I open the file start working it and go to save it and I get an error that says

FILE COPY ERROR ON SAVE

ACCESS IS DENIED

So I close the file out and I lose everything I had completed. I can not find any information on why this happens or what is causing this. Can anyone enlighten me a little bit on this issue.

Thanks

kelly.young has edited your subject line for clarity: Error

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

I tried closing everything out. I deleted the file I was copying and went through the process again and received the same error again.

This only happens when I'm trying to make a detailed print with dimensions etc...

Message 3 of 13
karthur1
in reply to: JustinVoltz7541

Can you open the original and from Inventor do a File>Save As and give it a new name and location.  It should change to your new file so you can edit it then save your changes.  just make sure you are not editing the original (Been there, done that).

Are you working in a shared environment?  I think it changes the file attribute to Read-Only which you "could" edit with windows explorer.

Message 4 of 13
JustinVoltz7541
in reply to: karthur1

We use Vault so Example:

-File 001 (Vaulted)

-Open > Vault > FIle > File 001

-Save As > File 002

-Close all files out

-Click file 002 > Make sure Read Only is unchecked

Then

-Open> File 002

-Open Detail File (idw) > Base Orientation

-Save file as File 002.idw

-Close everything out

-Open File002.idw > work on file for 10mins > Save > Error

-Lost work that was done.

Message 5 of 13
karthur1
in reply to: JustinVoltz7541

I use vault too. was thinking you were using the shared environment.

Several ways to do what you want to an idw. In order of my personal preference.

1. From Inventor, File>Save As, then give it a new name.

2. Copy design from Vault Explorer.

3. Copy/Paste from windows explorer works also. (It actually removes the read-only attribute when the file is copied).

From your steps, they sound right... that should not give you an error. Something else must be going on. You have all the service packs installed? What version of Inventor? 

I actually dont know of a SP that fixed an error on saving a file... just saying.

Message 6 of 13
Gabriel_Watson
in reply to: karthur1

6 years later and the same error appeared here on Inventor 2018.2.3:

EE4942EF.PNG

With the aggravation of this Dialog box popping up behind Inventor's window, so we need to ALT+SPACE+M it out of there to see it.

We use Vault 2018.2, and I am starting to think this may be related to the Inventor Dirty files issue, or some collateral effect of it (the user here may have not willingly modified the file).

Message 7 of 13
karthur1
in reply to: Gabriel_Watson

@Gabriel_Watson wrote:

We use Vault 2018.2, and I am starting to think this may be related to the Inventor Dirty files issue, or some collateral effect of it (the user here may have not willingly modified the file).

The workflow that JustinVoltz7541 outlined above, really shouldn't have anything to do with Vault.  Can you replicate the error using the steps he outlined above?  I can't, but my environment may be different than his or yours.

I also use Vault 2018.2 and I don't remember EVER seeing this error message.

Kirk

Message 8 of 13

Hi! Are you able to reproduce the behavior consistently? If Vault Add-In is unloaded, does it still happen?

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 9 of 13

Sorry, this is a really rare one, and I could not get in the way of the user to acquire a full report on it. I'll keep my eyes open for the next time it happens.

Message 10 of 13

Still not consistently reproducing the error, but we do know it happens upon file check-in.
Inventor 2018.3.2 with Vault 2018.3.

Message 11 of 13

Hi Gabriel,

It sounds like the behavior might be Vault related. Let me work with the team and see if this is a known issue.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 12 of 13
rachel_li
in reply to: Gabriel_Watson

Hi @Gabriel_Watson

I cannot reproduce this error with Vault 2018.2 or 2018.3 either. We'll keep eyes on the related workflow and errors. Next time when you encounter such error, would you mind sending me the Vault log files so that we can check if any error recorded during check in. 

Best Regards,

Rachel 

Rachel Li
Software QA Engineer
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 13 of 13
The_Angry_Elf
in reply to: rachel_li

7 years later and now I'm seeing this on a users machine.

Capture.PNG

He's not using Vault, but attempting to save his file to a server drive. I've got him trying a few different things based on what I read in this thread. He 6 hrs ahead so I won't have his results until tomorrow morning at best. I will update.

Cheers,

Jim O'Flaherty
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Owner - Celtic Design Services, LLC - cdscad.com - An Autodesk Service Partner
We are available for hire. Please DM me or visit our website
Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional * Autodesk Certified Instructor * Autodesk Expert Elite * AU Speaker 2015 through 2022 * AU Speaker Mentor
"Mr. O'Flaherty, never go into small computers. There's no future in them" - Dr. C.S. Choi circa 1984

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report