Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Equation Curve - Show Transform

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
karthur1
1623 Views, 4 Replies

Equation Curve - Show Transform

In the image below, I have an equation that I want to plot from -1 to +1.  Notice that it plots from 0 to 2.  If I click the "show transforms", it shows me that the plot is shifted 1.0 in X and 1.0 in Y.

2013-11-29_0936.png

Questions:

1. The only way that I can transform the equation is by clicking on the end of the curve away from 0,0 and drag it  (rotation only).  It is fixed at 0,0.  Is there a way to input the exact values in the x: and y: transforms. 

2.  Once I do rotate the curve, there is no way to get it exactly back to the original position.

3. I would like the line to plot with X:0 and Y:0 transforms, so it would show from -1,1- to 1,1.  Is this possible?

Thanks,

Kirk

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
glenn-chun
in reply to: karthur1

I can't reproduce the shift.  On my machine, the line is always plotted from (-1, -1) to  (1, 1), and that behavior is consistent in the Metric and English templates in Inventor 2013 and 2014.

yx.png

Glenn

Glenn Chun
Sr. Principal Engineer
Message 3 of 5
blair

My first guess is that your line is not constrained, the picture in the second post shows the line through the Origin Point allowing for constraint.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 4 of 5
karthur1
in reply to: glenn-chun

Glen,

Have no idea why it was plotting from 0,0 to 2,2 and not from -1,1 to 1,1.  Started a new part and that seems to be working fine now.  My second question was about modifying the transforms.  Once I click+drag the line, then edit the equation curve, the transforms show the amount the equation curve has been shifted/rotated.

2013-12-01_1628.png

I know that I can use a combination of teh "Move" and "Rotate" command to get it back where it should be, but it would be nice if it was possible to enter the amounts of the shift/rotation here.

Thanks

Message 5 of 5
glenn-chun

Hi Kirk,

The Show transform is a read-only operation.  The ability to edit the transformation sounds like a good idea.  You might want to post your idea to Inventor IdeaStation.

I usually constrain the equation curve to make the owner sketch fully constrained.  When it's hard to constrain the equation curve, I would just add the Fix constraint to the equation curve that has no transformation.

Glenn

Glenn Chun
Sr. Principal Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report