Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Emboss compound surfaces

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
davef
578 Views, 7 Replies

Emboss compound surfaces

Hello folks,

I'm stuck on a few different emboss cases,  If somebody can please help me get "unstuck" on these, I'd appreciate it.  Thanks.

The following examples are just dumbed-down models to learn from.  If it matters - I'm actually embossing patterns on more complicated parts - not text on primitive shapes.

Case 1:  Emboss across several surfaces.  Please see attached file "Wrap Emboss 1".  I can wrap to a face - but not all three faces on the solid that I want my "TEST TEST TEST" message to span across.  My embossed text goes off into space - it doesn't wrap around the edge of the solid as desired. 

Case 2: Emboss text (or some other arbitrary shape) onto a single (but compound) surface.  Please see file "Compound Emboss 2".  If the curvature of the part isn't significant - there are a few ways to fake/trick out the model to get a passable result.  BUT - when the curvature of the surface is significant relative to size of the text/pattern to be embossed - I haven't yet found a solution that doesn't wildly distort the embossed feature.  As the surface of the part is compound - I can't use the "Wrap to Face" option without an error.  The resulting embossed feature is unacceptable.

Any advice or thoughts that might be shared with me will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Dave

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
mpatchus
in reply to: davef

What version are these files?

Mike Patchus - Lancaster SC

Inventor 2025 Beta

Alienware m17, Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10980HK CPU @ 2.40GHz 3.10 GHz, Win 11, 64gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below. 🙂
Message 3 of 8
davef
in reply to: mpatchus

Inventor 2014.  Trouble opening them?

Message 4 of 8
mpatchus

Always a good idea when posting files, to include what version of the software you are running.

Many folks are still running previous versions and cannot open the 2014 files.

Nothing worse when trying to help someone out than downloading the files, only then find out that you can't provide any assistance because they are a newer version.

Inventor 2025 Beta

Alienware m17, Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10980HK CPU @ 2.40GHz 3.10 GHz, Win 11, 64gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below. 🙂
Message 5 of 8
davef
in reply to: mpatchus

OK.  Thank you Mike.  Were you able to open the IV2014 files?  If not, is there some way that I can save the file for compatability?  (I don;t see any option like that in the save as dialog.  Maybe somewhere else?)

Looking forward to your advice on the issues I'm having with the embossed features I need to create.

Dave

Message 6 of 8
mpatchus

There is no backward compatibility with Inventor files.

You'll need to wait for a 2014 user to assist with this one.  SORRY

Inventor 2025 Beta

Message 7 of 8
GSE_Dan_A

dave, for future reference, try posting screen grabs of those parts you posted as well.  It gives Users a chance to re-create your scenario in different versions of Inventor and post their results/ workflow.  As a fairly new user to Inventor, I can not help you with your problem.  Good luck!

GSE Consultants Inc.
Windsor, ON. Canada
Message 8 of 8
davef
in reply to: GSE_Dan_A

GSE_Dan,

Great recommendation.  Here are screen grabs of the two IV models:

Wrap Emboss 1 (Trying to wrap embossed feature around adjacent planar and cylindrical faces.)

Wrap Emboss 1.jpg

Compound Emboss 2: (Trying to emboss a single compound surface without unacceptable distortion.  Wrap to face option not permitted as surface is not planar, cylindrical, or conical.)

Compound Emboss 2.jpg

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report