Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Embedding Excel into Sheet Metal template

79 REPLIES 79
SOLVED
Message 1 of 80
Breeze104
2216 Views, 79 Replies

Embedding Excel into Sheet Metal template

First off..Noob question... How do you embed (not link) an excel spread sheet into my sheet metal template.  The excel file is simple, 2 rows listing the A1=gauge and B1= decimal equivalent.

What I want to do with this is to get the gauge to show up in the iProperties description along with length and width of part.  The thing is I need colum A to show up in the iProperties (12GA) but colum B to be used for the sheet metal default thicness.

I keep getting this errorwhen I run my code.....

Error in rule: Gauge, in document: Part1

GoExcel: 3rd Party worksheet not found: "3rd Party:Embedding 1", Sheet: "Sheet1"

Code so far..

i = GoExcel.FindRow("3rd Party:Embedding 1", "Sheet1", "Gauge", "<=", iProperties.Value("Custom", "Gauge"))

MultiValue.List("Thickness") = GoExcel.CellValues("3rd Party:Embedding 1", "Sheet1", "B2", "B35")

So I need help with both the embedding and code. 

79 REPLIES 79
Message 21 of 80
jletcher
in reply to: Breeze104

Well then that would be the 1st thing you need to do is set up sheet metal styles..

Ok more to ask in order to help.

1. Do you make flat patterns of the sheet metal for DXF?

2. Do you have a list of the bend deductions to set up sheet metal styles?

3. Do you use Stainless Steel and hot roll and cold roll?

This is the 1st thing we need to do..

Message 22 of 80
jletcher

Yes because Code is way different and I am not sure if embedding will allow multi list.

Again this is not a good way to do this.............

And you need to set up styles 1st.............

Message 23 of 80
Breeze104
in reply to: jletcher

1. Do you make flat patterns of the sheet metal for DXF? YES

2. Do you have a list of the bend deductions to set up sheet metal styles? NO, we have an old Hyd break w/backstop and everything we break varies 1-2deg due to cheap metal and old loose equipment.

3. Do you use Stainless Steel and hot roll and cold roll? Mostly Cold Roll

Because of our equipment and the steel we get there is very little to no consistency when breaking which makes it really hard, very time consuming and unpractical (so I have been told) to test the multitude of parts we break needed to come up with an accurate bend table.

Message 24 of 80
jletcher

Ok then we have work to set up this right..

1. Do you make flat patterns of the sheet metal for DXF? YES

Ok then we need to set this up so they work...

2. Do you have a list of the bend deductions to set up sheet metal styles? NO, we have an old Hyd break w/backstop and everything we break varies 1-2deg due to cheap metal.

Bend deduction has nothing to do with the degree has to do with the stretching of sheet metal when bending..

We will need this to set you up right.. Or the DXF files will not be right.

3. Do you use Stainless Steel and hot roll and cold roll? Mostly Cold Roll

Good less to set up Smiley Happy

Message 25 of 80
Breeze104

Just went back and read one of your postings I had missed.....

iLogic is totally new to me and I am learning as I go, so, if there is a better or easier way to do what I need to do then I am open to suggestions..This method is not set in stone.

I am an old construction worker so my philosophy is "If there is a better tool to make my work easier...GET IT ASAP"...Smiley WinkSmiley Very Happy

Message 26 of 80
Breeze104

"Bend deduction has nothing to do with the degree has to do with the stretching of sheet metal when bending..

We will need this to set you up right.. Or the DXF files will not be right."

I guess maybe I didn't explain very well.  The metal we get, varies a lot in its stretch ability.  We can grab 1 piece break it just fine and then grab another (from the same stack cut from the same sheet) and we might have to rebreak it again to get it close to what we need.  Then the next piece will over break and it will have to be either thrown away or flattened and rebroke.  And all of this is coming from the same stack of parts.  It is very aggravating for the guys doing the work and for me not being able to create a table that works.

For the most part the standard KFactor settings in Inventor work..if that helps any.

Message 27 of 80
jletcher

It does but it sounds like you don't use the right punch and die for bending. Bending is my background I have over 20 years in sheet metal.

Metal will vary but if you have the right tooling it is not as bad.

But ok we will work with this.

What you need to do is set up your sheet metal styles something like this :

Sheet Metal.JPG

Now if you Don't use stainless steel you can leave it out but set them all up then post so I can see and I will try to write an ilogic code to do what you want..

Message 28 of 80
Breeze104

Is this what you were lookiing for??

Message 29 of 80
Breeze104

Is it standard to use the "A" angles for the "Report Bending Angle" ?

Message 30 of 80
jletcher

Yes it is what I need..

You asked "

Is it standard to use the "A" angles for the "Report Bending Angle" ?

I don't folow the question can you rephrase?

Message 31 of 80
Breeze104

I was just going through setting material type & thickness, and then the next option to set is "Flat Pattern Bend Angle" and the choices are Angles "A" or "B" (inside /outside angles).  I was just wondering which is "Standard"

Message 32 of 80
jletcher

Oh that I have mine on A but that's a preference it will have no effect on the ilogic I am writing.

Message 33 of 80
Breeze104

Well by pure accident..... I found the factory bend table for our Piranha press break.  I have attached the scanned image.  I hope this is what you were looking for, it is the only thing we have.

Message 34 of 80
jletcher

Well if you go off of that I can see why your sheet metal is all messed up. That table is about 60 years old it was developed for the old brake press and no one has made a new one for a hydraulic press.

So tell your guys to toss that in the garbage lol.....  Smiley Happy

I will see if I can find my old chart I made years ago for a company once they started using my chart they was within + or - .010 on the dimension and + or - a degree.

Message 35 of 80
Breeze104

ok. THANKS!  Man LOL

Well I guess it is a good thing the guys don't know what it is then....cuz there is a sticker of it on the side of the break...LOL

Now you understand what I am working with....LOL

Message 36 of 80
jletcher

Hey I forgot to ask did you want the Length and Width in Fractions or decimal?

Message 37 of 80
Breeze104

yes they are fractions.

Message 38 of 80
jletcher

ok Give me a few to change and I will post..

Message 39 of 80
Breeze104

I know I maybe asking a lot...but could the gauge be placed in front...... 12Ga x XX x XX

Message 40 of 80
jletcher

How about this:

How about this.JPG

or this.JPG

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report