Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Editing Time

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
m.granata
1315 Views, 6 Replies

Editing Time

Does Inventor 2013 have any means of tracking editing time?  I remember AutoCAD had a time command for this.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
blair
in reply to: m.granata

No, part of the problem is you are not dealing with a simple flat file. You can time spent in your IDW file, time spent in your IAM file and time spent for each IPT file.

Now do you roll up all the time in the IDW, IAM and all the IPT files, which could now include time spent on library items which may have been created by someone else or by you for a different project.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 7
m.granata

I am creating all the drawings, ipt, iam, and idw files.  So I would need the sum of editing time for all three file types for a project.

Message 4 of 7
blair

Sorry, the answer is still no. Break out the watch and or use the old fashioned time log sheets.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 5 of 7
mrattray

You could wrtie an iLogic rule that would "clock in" and "clock out" through an Excel file.

I'm thinking one rule set to trigger when the file is opened that "clocks in" by writing a time/date and some sort of ID to identify the entry to that file or project along with an "in" flag. Another rule would then be set up to "clock out" by writing a similar line with an ID and time/date but with an "out" flag. Some Excel magic could then sort the entries into meaningfull data and total the differences for you.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 6 of 7
JDMather
in reply to: mrattray

@mrattray wrote:

You could wrtie an iLogic rule that would "clock in" and "clock out" through an Excel file.

How does it stop the timer everytime my phone rings or someone walks into the office?
Guess I'll just have to stick to average day.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 7 of 7
mrattray
in reply to: JDMather

You could tie the rules to keystrokes...

Do you write down the time that your phone rang and the time that you hung up when you track time manually?

Regardless, I'm not saying any of this is a good idea. However, I think it is feasible and I wanted to offer up a suggestion in contrast to others saying it simply can't be done. Proper implementation would take lots and lots of work and debugging along with diligence from it's users.

Another problem would be if IV crashes (which it never does Smiley Wink), this would prevent the clock out rule from being fired and essentially "leave the clock running" after you've left for the day in frustration.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report