Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Edit exploded views

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
coves92
2875 Views, 13 Replies

Edit exploded views

Could someone please tell me how to edit the explode steps in an explode file?  I have created an exploded view of an assembly, only I have edited the assembly by adding a whole bunch of fasteners etc.  Now I want to go into the explode file and add the extra components to the related exploded steps - only there is no steps to add the new components too, each component is on its own.  The functionality I am talking about is a sw thing and there is probably another process to do this, or a work around.

Cheers

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
blair
in reply to: coves92

It would be nice if you could re-fresh the IAM in the IPN file, but at this time you need to start fresh. Possibly as some point the Presentation module will get a work over, it's been pretty much stagnant since it's inception.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 14
coves92
in reply to: blair

I'm not sure I understand, I don't want to update the Iam file, I want to edit the ipn file.  I figured out that I can edit existing trails/tweaks, unfortunately I don't be seem to able to add/remove components to each tweak?  Is this correct? 

Also I noticed that components that are suppressed (in other levels of detail) doesn't get carried over to the ipn, or I cant change the LOD in the drawing for the ipn view..

Message 4 of 14
Vlad.Makarov

The IPN environment has been ignored for years. Autodesk has little incentive to improve it. They want their customers to now buy an additional package aka Publisher.

rdyson

It's unclear what your intent is.

Are you not able to tweak the added components?

Do you want to add parts to existing tweaks? Why?

Are you doing an explosion animation and want the tweaks to occur in a specific order?

If the latter, see below.

SNAG-0000.png

PDSU 2016
Message 6 of 14
hunt
in reply to: rdyson

I've also found the Sequence View (found by clicking on the Filter icon in the browser window) to be very helpful for grouping/rearranging tweaks.

Message 7 of 14
badbjbass

This is just a thought, but I figured I'd throw it out there. Instead of creating an .ipn and tweaking components, have you considered using Inventor Studio to create the same explosion? Ive done this a few times, and I find that working with Inventor Studio is easier than working with an .ipn. It's just something to consider.

Tags (2)
Message 8 of 14
JDMather
in reply to: badbjbass

@badbjbass wrote:

...and I find that working with Inventor Studio is easier than working with an .ipn. It's just something to consider.

How do you create your drawing views from the Inventor Studio results?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 9 of 14
coves92
in reply to: rdyson

In this particular case I have 8 sets of fasteners (screw, nut, 2 falt washers & 1 split washer), I have since found I need 4 more sets (4 extra holes), now that I have added them I want them to be in the same sequence as each of the the other like componetns (washers with washers, nuts with nuts ect.

Message 10 of 14
rdyson

Why?

PDSU 2016
Message 11 of 14
Steven.ware

First, find out which tweak explodes the old fasteners. Then select all of the new fasteners and RMB, select copy, RMB on the tweak and select paste. This is how to add components to a tweak. To remove components from a tweak, just select the component under the tweak and hit delete key. If you want tweak lines to show or not, select the components under the tweak, RMB and select visibility. As for changing a presentation file to use a different LOD than what was selected when the assembly was first inserted into the presentation file, we are all out of luck. As far as I can find, we can’t.

I have always thought presentation files were not the right way of creating exploded views.

Steven Ware

Designer

Inventor Pro 2012 SP2 64bit

Windows 7 Pro SP1, 64-Bit, 8.00GB RAM

NVIDIA Quadro 2000

HP Z400 Workstation

Steven Ware
Designer
Inventor Pro 2020.2.2 64bit
Windows 10 Pro, 64
Message 12 of 14
AndyWallace
in reply to: Steven.ware

Steven, THANKS very much for posting that tip about RMB, paste. I did not see that in the Help and it works once you enable the tweak view in filters. I was able to add a component to an existing tweak once, using the trail/edit existing tweak raindance, but just now I was not able to, using the same steps! Inventor can be very frustrating when the help is no help and many times I'm left with choosing to delete something and start again rather than fixing something that exists. The presentation tool is a real problem in that regard, especially compared to Solidworks.

Andy

Andy Wallace
Autodesk Inventor (2016) (3 years)
previously Solidworks (6 years)
Message 13 of 14
blair
in reply to: AndyWallace

There were some small changes with respect to "Trails" in IV2016 but for most parts the Presentation section has been pretty much unchanged since it was introduced 😞

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 14 of 14
danielw88
in reply to: blair

I don't know if this is relevant to the OP problem, but when i work with .ipn files to make exploded views, i sometimes run into a scenario where i need to add a component to already existing tweaks.

In the tweak view window in the browser, i usually expand a tweak which shows all the components involved in that particular tweak. Sometimes there are multiple tweaks to some components to get them into the right view. I expand each tweak involved. Then i select the components i want to add to the tweak and drag-and-drop them into each tweak, starting with the earliest tweak. It will show trails of all the new components, but those are easily made invisible.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report