Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Edit Excel

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
cadcamm99
430 Views, 5 Replies

Edit Excel

I am using Inventor 2011.  I have an embedded Excel file with 7 rows.  If I edit the the excel object and add two more rows then go back to inventor, it only displays 7 rows instead of 9.  Any ideas to display all rows?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
mcgyvr
in reply to: cadcamm99

@cadcamm99 wrote:

I am using Inventor 2011.  I have an embedded Excel file with 7 rows.  If I edit the the excel object and add two more rows then go back to inventor, it only displays 7 rows instead of 9.  Any ideas to display all rows?

yep.. Delete the table and reinsert it.. (I always use paste special for what its worth)

Changes to existing rows/columns update no problem.. But add a row and you need to delete/reinsert..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 6
s.mutschler

This behavior is intentional relative to "embedded" Excel parameter tables.  If you use the "link" option instead of "embed", the table is maintained "external" to your part and any edits or extensions to that table will appear in your part (without having to delete and re-embed the table).

Message 4 of 6
mcgyvr
in reply to: s.mutschler

@s.mutschler wrote:

This behavior is intentional relative to "embedded" Excel parameter tables.  If you use the "link" option instead of "embed", the table is maintained "external" to your part and any edits or extensions to that table will appear in your part (without having to delete and re-embed the table).

You make it sound so simple/foolproof.

Clearly you've never actually tried it in Inventor before.You will learn.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 5 of 6
cadcamm99
in reply to: s.mutschler

I was trying to avoid linking it because I have many drawings that use this table format and I didn't want to have to checkin all the excel files into Vault.  I wanted to use the table command in Inventor but I cannot format it the I want to so that is why I am using excel.

Message 6 of 6
s.mutschler

Ahhh.  Understood.  I missed the Vault management requirement and was referring only to the use of an Excel table to hold part parameters, not embedded OLE objects in part sketches.  In our case, the Link option is convenient when we want to attach the same Excel parameters table to multiple sub-parts.  (Files must be in the same work path as the related parts to avoid unwanted re-linkage prompts.)

We also often insert and display external Excel tables in Inventor (2012) drawings, in their entirety. Such tables automatically reflect current Excel file content (when the drawing is next opened).

(P.S. We do not use Vault.  We are using MS Exhange for storage and check-out control of collaboration project files, including Excel parameter tables, albeit we are a small team with few collisions.)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report