Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Edge bend for flat pattern

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
gazzthompson
829 Views, 6 Replies

Edge bend for flat pattern

Hello,

I did a search, hopefully not a repost. I am looking for a way of drawing an edge bend on a flat bit of copper so I can flat pattern it for the guys on the shop floor to make.

The problem comes with the edge bend, I have provided a picture of a simple bit of copper with various flat bends and a single edge bend. As the flat pattern shows to the right the edge bend is not flattered, This was drawn using a sketch the profile then using "face" . This is why I assume it does not work in flat pattern.

Is it possible to draw an edge bend with a command to allow it to flat pattern? if so which command and how?

Many thanks,

Gary

autodesk 2012

Windows 7.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
JDMather
in reply to: gazzthompson

Attach your file here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 7
gazzthompson
in reply to: JDMather

File attached.

thanks.

Message 4 of 7
JDMather

I don't understand the problem - there is a Flat Pattern in your file.

The part is flattened.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 5 of 7
gazzthompson
in reply to: JDMather

Sorry I must not have explained myself properly. Please find attached a picture of what I'm trying to achieve.

Message 6 of 7
blair

Look at "Contour Roll". The Sheet-Metal module really is dealing with items that are processed in a Brake, you would need to do this with a Rolling Process.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 7 of 7

Hi gazzthompson,

I the past when I've had to have have flat bar rolled "the hard way" or on edge, the roll was formed using a length that is known to be too long. Once the roll is formed then the part is cut to length and then bends added.

It might have just been the shop I was working with, but I was told that the location of the roll would vary too much to start with a precise length. So that might be something to check first off.

But even if they can work with a precise length, I think getting Inventor to create the flat pattern of the raw bar stock will require some sort of 2 step process using the Contour Roll tool and the bent Flanges. I think some trickery using derived parts might work, but I'd check with the shop first anyway.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report