Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dynamic simulation, Spinning top

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
actionruction
1883 Views, 6 Replies

Dynamic simulation, Spinning top

Hello!

I'm trying to simulate the physics of a spinning top and hopefully this can be done in a way so that I can try different shapes and sizes to see how they would behave in reality.

In the attached zip you will find an example of a spinning top and a bowl on witch to spin. I'm sure there are better ways of doing this than what conclusions I have reached this far and so I have left the example assembly clean from defining gravity and any form of rotation or contact joints in dynamic simulation.

I would appreciate the help, the time spent for achieving this is to **** high 🙂

spinning_top_screen.jpg

Tags (1)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
JDMather
in reply to: actionruction

First thing I noticed - your Bowl is not grounded?

Rather than "clean" assembly - I would be more interested in seeing what you have attempted so far.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 7
actionruction
in reply to: JDMather

What I have experimented with this far is to add a spatial join between the spinner and bowl. I then added a 3d Contact for interaction. To get a rotation I added a cylinder inside the spinner (Not sure about that one). I need to add motion to the spinner witch decreases according to friction and what ever else would affect the spin of a real spinning top. But like I said and the reason for a "clean" file, if there is a better solution I much rather learn that one instead of a fix for the current one. At this point I'm not really sure of what I'm doing 🙂

I have attached a new file.

Message 4 of 7
JDMather

Have you done the "Bouncing Ball on Stairs" exercise in the Wasim Younis book?  (It is actually done incorrectly in the book, but would help in explaining a solution.)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 5 of 7
actionruction

I do not have that book. Any other tip or guidance would be appreciated.

Message 6 of 7
JDMather

Did you ever get the book?

Figure it out on your own?

EESignature

Message 7 of 7
admaiora

Hi Action,

as JDMather suggested passing through a dynamic training would be the best.

You can find the book easily:

http://www.amazon.com/Running-Autodesk-Inventor-Professional-2014/dp/1489508619/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&q...

If you speak German too:

http://www.amazon.com/Simulationen-mit-Inventor-G%C3%BCnter-Scheuermann/dp/3446433333/ref=sr_1_2?ie=...

In this case you can consider to manage the spatial joint and its DOFs.

On the vertical axis rotation you can impart an accelaration law as imposed motion that would simulate the spinning moment force.

Then you can add the 3d contact and its setting (friction, damping, etc) and if they will be considered other external forces as gravity, the spinning top launching  force, etc

Admaiora
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report