Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dynamic Simulation of Extension Springs

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
rob.j.ross
2408 Views, 8 Replies

Dynamic Simulation of Extension Springs

In the dynamics simulation mode of Inventor 11, has anyone modeled an extension spring with an initial tension?  When entering springs is seems that I can choose the spring rate only.  The initial tension wound into the spring shifts the spring's force by the initial tension.  Can this force shift be modeled with the spring tool?

Dual Intel Xeon E5540 CPUs
16GB DDR3 Ram
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
henderh
in reply to: rob.j.ross

Hi Rob,

You can specify the "Free length" length in the spring's properties (see attached image).

This will determine the tensile or compressive preload, if the current (or initial) distance between the two defining verticies is different .  As you've found, you cannot input the preload directly.

Please let us know if you have any additional questions, comments or suggestions.

Thanks, -hugh

Hugh Henderson
QA Engineer (Fusion Simulation)
Message 3 of 9
stephen.kosek

Adjusting the free length only works for one position of the spring.  I am stretching the spring six inches while the part is rotating.  I am trying to use the unknown force to rotate the part, but without an initial tension in my spring, the unknown force result is not accurate. 

Message 4 of 9
JDMather
in reply to: stephen.kosek

@stephen.kosek wrote:

I am trying to use the unknown force to rotate the part, but without an initial tension in my spring, the unknown force result is not accurate. 

Attach your assembly here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 5 of 9
stephen.kosek

The original post for needing initial tension in springs was 10 years ago.  Has there been any software updates to this situation?

Message 6 of 9
dszego
in reply to: stephen.kosek

I'll add that in Inventor 2020, there's still no way to ground something at one end of the spring, move something at the other end of the spring, and have the spring stretch or compress.

Message 7 of 9
JDMather
in reply to: dszego

Attach your assembly here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 8 of 9
dszego
in reply to: JDMather

Hi, thanks for taking the time to reply. Here's a cut down version of the assembly in question.

Message 9 of 9
JDMather
in reply to: dszego

For those who might come across this old thread through search - I am going to continue the new discussion in this thread (see link below) as the previous posters did not choose to continue the discussion and made some incorrect statements that were never corrected since they did not Attach their datasets for illustration of the misconceptions.

In particular @stephen.kosek should have posted files for clarification.  Spring force in Inventor Dynamic Simulation works exactly like it does in the real world.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-forum/stretching-an-extension-spring-made-with-the-generator...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report