Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dynamic Simulation: Use Spring Joint or Force?

23 REPLIES 23
SOLVED
Message 1 of 24
LT.Rusty
3805 Views, 23 Replies

Dynamic Simulation: Use Spring Joint or Force?

I'm designing a hinged cover for something right now that will use a pair of gas extension springs  for assisted opening.    I'm currently working to figure out how much force it will take to open the cover using different values of spring - it's available in 50, 100, 150, 200, etc., lb versions. 

I've tried running simulations using a force applied to the moving end of the gas spring, and I've trued running simulations using a spring joint applied between the fixed and and the moving end of the gas spring, and I'm getting dramatically different results between the two.  For instance, using a 200 lb force shows me that I need about 25 extra lbs of force applied to the handle of the cover to open it, where when I use that same 200 lbs on a spring joint, I need 50-75 lbs to keep the cover closed, because it will open on its own.

Which is the correct direction to go here?

Rusty

EESignature

23 REPLIES 23
Message 21 of 24
JDMather
in reply to: LT.Rusty

I will take their lab reports and write up a condensed report when I get a chance and attach here.

It is interesting enough that I will add this one to my book (if I ever get around to writing it).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 22 of 24
LT.Rusty
in reply to: JDMather

heh

I want a review copy of your book, then.  😄

Rusty

EESignature

Message 23 of 24
LT.Rusty
in reply to: JDMather

JD -

Have you had a chance to review the student solutions any further?  I'm still interested in hearing about what you found so interesting on this one ... 

Rusty

EESignature

Message 24 of 24
destinare
in reply to: LT.Rusty

Hello
Help yourself with a gas spring positioning software!
Vérinplus 3.10 pros available now on
verinplus.byethost7.com/index.php
VérinPlus is a software for positioning gas or spring jacks.
Designed specifically for design offices, it calculates fixing points and
the effort required to maintain the door, while ensuring that deadlines are met.
2f(1)90(2)200.png2-2-1 c-a p-m.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums