Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dual dimensions in model sketch

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
Tyneheadpark
4395 Views, 8 Replies

Dual dimensions in model sketch

Hello,

Unable to find a way to show dual dimensions in my model shetch. Can someone help please.

Thanks in advance

Serge

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

What do you mean by dual dimensions?

Can you past a model you're working on?

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

I assume he's wanting to show both mm and inches on each dimension in a sketch (with the main dimension in one format and the other in brackets below it), in the way you can have dual dimensions shown when detailing an idw view.

personally think it would look a mess/cluttered with even more text all over the sketch environment, but everyone's differenent.

If it's any help - you know you can enter dimensions in either format?  If you're working in mm you can still dimension a line and type "2in" and vice-versa.  Probably know this already, but no harm saying it, just in case.

Sam M.
Inventor and Showcase monkey

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question...
If you have found any post to be helpful, even if it's not a direct solution, then please provide that author kudos - spread that love 😄

Message 4 of 9

Why would anyone want to use the Imperial system?!

*runs*

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

tell me about it...  (possibly ignoring the mph speed limit and use of feet/inches and stones for when we talk about our height and weight in the UK Smiley Very Happy)

2yydqx2.jpg

Sam M.
Inventor and Showcase monkey

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question...
If you have found any post to be helpful, even if it's not a direct solution, then please provide that author kudos - spread that love 😄

Message 6 of 9
SBix26
in reply to: Tyneheadpark

(not taking the bait...)

No way to show two different units for one dimension, but if you change the dimension disply to Expression, it will display exactly what you entered.  So if you entered one dimension in feet, one in inches, one in mm, one in km, those will all display with the units that you entered.  Not exactly what you were hoping for, but possibly better than nothing.

Sam B
Inventor 2012 Certified Professional

Please click "Accept as Solution" if this response answers your question.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor Professional 2013 SP1.1 Update 1
Windows XP Pro 32-bit, SP3
HP EliteBook 8730w; 4 GB RAM; Core™ 2 Duo T9400 2.53 GHz; Quadro FX2700M
SpaceExplorer/SpaceNavigator NB, driver 3.7.18
still waiting for a foreshortened radius dimensioning tool in Drawing Manager

Message 7 of 9

Good Morning,

Thanks for your reply.

I want to show both, Imperial & Metric dimentions in the model. I work on projects for the US & Europe.

I prefer to work in Inventor, some times I work in SolidWorks, SolidWorks allow you to show dual dimensions in the model sketch.

Regards

Serge

Message 8 of 9
JDMather
in reply to: Tyneheadpark

You can enter the units directly in or mm and Inventor will convert to current document settings (which  you can change - maybe someone can come up with a simple toggle icon to toggle the document settings).  Tools>Document Settings>Units

Unlike SolidWorks when you edit the dimension the original entry shows in the dialog box so it makes it easy to keep track of different units even if they aren't always displayed.  (SWx does the conversion or equation and then that is what you get.)

I work quite a bit in inch and metric and combination (ex metric frame motor on inch machine) and it doesn't seem to be a real difficulty to me.

You might go to the "wish list" forum and add this as a suggestion for some future release.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-ETO-IdeaStation/idb-p/1231

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 9 of 9
Tyneheadpark
in reply to: JDMather

Thank for your input.

I will go ahead with your suggestion.

Tanks

Regards

Serge

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report