Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drop-down list not staying open

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
pcsupport
1370 Views, 10 Replies

Drop-down list not staying open

In the Parameters settings window in Inventor (2012 SP1) we have a True/False value in a drop-down list. When we click on this (or any other for that matter) drop-down it just flickers and the menu does not stay open. There no way to select desired entry, it just flickers “for a millisecond”. We have found no other way either to set the values in a list, except for with the mouse.

Computer is a HP Z400 with Win 7 x64, with old Office 2002 and old IE 8.

Any suggestions as to what might be the cause for this flickering drop-down list? We have updated graphics drivers (HP NVidia Quadro 4000) and we have updated all kinds of updates and service packs. Even things like Flash, Java and Silverlight have been updated.

And is there any way to set these parameters by only using the keyboard? If we could set focus on that drop-down perhaps we can set it with the keyboard arrows or first letter in value. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

/Per 

Tags (2)
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
MartinBernat
in reply to: pcsupport

Could you please answer following questions to make things clear?

- are you facing this behavior in a specific part only?

- only the drop-down lists in the "Parameters" dialog are problematic?

- have you tried a newer version of MS Office?

Please try a workaround using the keyboard: click on the Parameter Name input box and then press the Tab key. The focus should now be on the drop-down list. Now press the "t" or "f" key for True/False values respectively.

I will check this issue with our QA team. Thanks for reporting!

Martin Bernat

Autodesk

Message 3 of 11
pcsupport
in reply to: MartinBernat

Hi Martin, thanks for your reply.

I talked to our engineer and he gave me these answers

Q1. No, we experience this with all parts.

Q2. Yes, it’s only the drop-down menu (in the equation column) like true/false and multi value lists.

Q3. Yes we did try just now, went from 2002 to Office 2010 but sadly that made no difference.

Message 4 of 11
johnsonshiue

Hi! I cannot seem to reproduce the behavior. Could you post the part here or send it to me?

Thanks

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 5 of 11
pcsupport
in reply to: johnsonshiue

sure. file's now here

http://ge.tt/88cBAJ7

although as stated above; "we experience this with all parts"

Message 6 of 11
johnsonshiue

Hi! I pulled down the part and went to Parameters dialog on a machine with similar spec as yours. I did not see a Boolean parameter. I added one and I did not see the behavior you described. Could you record a video of the behavior and post it here or send it to me?

Thanks

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 7 of 11
pcsupport
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Video is now here; http://ge.tt/9zQwdL7 (can be drag into Internet Explorer to view, needs Flash)

In the video I click on the “Artikelnr” parameter box four times, twice in the middle and twice on the down-arrow. You see it blinking four times. Then I move the window so that the edge of the box is located just outside the screen. And as I again click the list pops upwards and as you see it stays open and I can select a different value.

Message 8 of 11
MjDeck

Did this problem show up for the first time in Inventor 2012 SP1?  Were you able to use a multi-value or True/False parameter with no problem in Inventor 2012 before you installed SP1?

Do you have any other PC's running Inventor 2012?  If so, do they show the same problem?

Mike Deck
Software Developer
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 9 of 11
pcsupport
in reply to: MjDeck

Well, the problem was there also before we installed SP1. After installation of SP1 nothing ,at least nothing visible, changed with the problem.

Ajdå! (Swedish expression, a bit like oops). I just looked at my initial thread text and saw that I’ve forgotten to write about the user, profile and rights. The thing is that it is just two or three users that experience this! It can be that, if we logon with a different domain account this problem does not appear. At least not during the ten minutes we do tests. It can of course also be that it does. So it doesn’t matter what rights the user has, if it’s an administrator account or not.
  We have tried a lot of different things with the logon accounts and not found any common denominator. The user that always has the problem is sadly the user that works on this computer. We have completely deleted his user profile but that did not help. Since, when he logged on again after we deleted his profile, thus creating a new (C:\Users\XYZ + the registry) the problem was there from the very beginning.

One can see that when he clicks on “true / false” the very first time that the drop-down doesn’t close as fast as it does the second time (and every time after that). So my guess is now; perhaps it is in the local user profile or in his registry that something gets set, that then creates this problem.

Message 10 of 11
pcsupport

New development!

When running in Safe mode w/ Network te problem is gone. Looks like some driver is the cause. We're currently going through those to try and find which.

Anyone have any ideas as to which drivers we should focus on first?

Message 11 of 11
MjDeck

It's possible that it could be caused by a mouse driver.  Do you have any mouse-specific software installed?

Another thing to try would be a Repair of Autodesk Inventor 2012 (in Control Panel -> Programs and Features).

Do you have any other PC's running Inventor 2012?  If so, do they show the same problem?

Mike Deck
Software Developer
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report