Inventor General Discussion

Mentor
MikahB
Message 1 of 6 (200 Views)

Drawings & Multi-Body iPart

200 Views, 5 Replies
02-01-2014 01:46 PM

I've been working on a project that involves fasteners.  For the sake of discussion, imagine a very special Nut and Washer combination where all their "specialness" is in the mating components of the two parts, and each washer is specific to each nut.  Because there are so many dependent dimensions between the two pieces and so many variations (every metric and SAE standard fasteners size plus many special ones) an iParrt has proven a robust want to model this pair - I only have about 60 rows at present but will very likely end up with something like 400 rows.

The struggle comes every time I have to produce shop drawings.  Each piece can be sufficiently detailed on one sheet, and everything works fine for the first part I set up.  I use Solid Body Visibility to only show the part I need and away I go.  Trouble is, If I make a new drawing as a copy of an existing one and then change to another iPart, the Visibility checkboxes no longer produce any effect.  They act like they are going to, but they do nothing.

I have tried View Representations that isolate each part which would be a perfect solution, but of course it does not work in the Drawing environment for some unknown-to-me reason.

It is a big waste of my time to have to keep redrawing these things every time - I am seeking other workflows that might be more reliable. Because there are so many special cases, dimension tables are not a good option.  Any other suggestions?

Mikah Barnett
All Angles Design
Product Design Suite Ultimate 2014
Windows 7 Professional x64
Intel i7-3770k @ 4.5GHz
32GB DDR3-2400 RAM
GeForce GTX 670 4GB
Distinguished Mentor
pcrawley
Message 2 of 6 (191 Views)

Re: Drawings & Multi-Body iPart

02-01-2014 02:48 PM in reply to: MikahB

Alternative suggestion: Use iLogic.

iParts are OK when you have 40 variations and a limited number of permutations of the design, but 400, or 4000, (or 135,000 as we had on one job) then you are going to get into a mess.

When you use "Place iLogic" in an assembly, it actually creates a copy of your source part.  This can present its own problems, but a single iLogic driven part can hide/show bodies, change dimensions, suppress/unsuppress features, even "build" part numbers (or other iProperties) based on the selections made during its configuration.  What you can end up with is a single part with as many configurations as you could possibly need, without a table, and each instance is unique - therefore editable in isolation from all others.

Peter
Mentor
MikahB
Message 3 of 6 (184 Views)

02-01-2014 03:28 PM in reply to: pcrawley
Thanks, Peter for the suggestion. So far, iPart has proven more than up to the task of modeling the parts and variations, but the drawing environment is a whole other story.
Mikah Barnett
All Angles Design
Intel i7-3770k @ 4.5GHz
32GB DDR3-2400 RAM
GeForce GTX 670 4GB
Distinguished Mentor
pcrawley
Message 4 of 6 (173 Views)

02-01-2014 04:07 PM in reply to: MikahB

Sorry - I misunderstood.  When you said "I am seeking other workflows that might be more reliable. Because there are so many special cases, dimension tables are not a good option." I presumed you meant that the whole workflow needed a rethink.

Peter
Employee
johnsonshiue
Message 5 of 6 (95 Views)

02-10-2014 03:07 PM in reply to: MikahB

Hi! iPart is not yet capable of configuring Design View ot part level. For these invisible solid bodies, do they serve any purpose in the iPart member? Or, do they need to be present in certain members? You can use Delete Face -> Lump option to remove unwanted body and the feature can be controlled on a per member basis. Would it work for you?

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Principal SQA Engineer, Inventor
Mechanical Design
Autodesk, Inc.

Mentor
MikahB
Message 6 of 6 (90 Views)

02-10-2014 03:28 PM in reply to: johnsonshiue

Thanks, Johnson but yes, both solid bodies are required.  I just need to show one at a time when making drawings.

There seems to be drawings functionality that attempts to address this (being able to Select Solid Body Visibility per View) but it's broken and only works intermittently.

I have considered making two iParts for each assembly - one showing each body - but then I'm duplicating data in two rows which seems like a fantastic way to cause problems as well as doubling the number of rows.

Mikah Barnett
All Angles Design
Intel i7-3770k @ 4.5GHz
32GB DDR3-2400 RAM
GeForce GTX 670 4GB

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube