Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drawing shells

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
RichardAutodesk
729 Views, 1 Reply

Drawing shells

I am new to the use of Inventor after having used several drawing and simulation packages. The company I have started to work for is using FEMAP for drawings and simulation of parts of ships. Inventor 2010 is also available. I am trying to work out if it is faster to draw in Inventor and simulate in either Inventor or FEMAP.

I am not looking for the midplane option, as this would imply having to first draw solids - in the simulation only (2D) shells are simulated. I do think the use of sheet metal in Invenotr is intended for other types of structures as well - please correct me if I'm wrong. In this case it involves plates of the deck, hull and perpendicular stiffeners - all modelled as 2D plates/shells. These plates are typically placed parallel or perpendicular.

The Inventor examples I have found so far involve solids. Can anyone point me in the right direction for drawing in shells directly?

I tried to draw a rectangle and extrude this with zero thickness. Extruding as a solid does not enable specifying a zero thickness (only values other than 0 are allowed). Extruding the rectangle as a surface extrudes each of the lines of the rectangle in the direction perpendicular to the drawing plane. This creates a hollow tube, with shells as walls. Extruding a line would give a plane, but I cannot select a line.

Many thanks in advance,

Richard

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
swalton
in reply to: RichardAutodesk

IV will make surfaces as 0-thickness bodies.  You should be able to select a single line or a set of lines to make your surface.  Make sure that you select the surface option in the extrude command before you select your sketch geometry if you don't have a closed loop sketch. 

As I remember, the FEA solver in IV2010 only works with 3d solids.  It can't mesh surfaces.  I believe that IV 2013 introduced a midplane option for thin walled components.  The FEA included with IV is limited to linear homogeneous materials: No wood, composites, or plastic deformation.

You will need the Autodesk Simulation line of products if you want to mesh surfaces for FEA.

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report