Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drawing on new plane

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
reinout.keulen
1664 Views, 7 Replies

Drawing on new plane

I have generated a new plane on an axis, and now im trying to start a new sketch on the new plane. However, the sketch origin on this new plane is somewhere in mid-air. Is there a way to align the sketch origin to a point, or will i have to work from the point in mid-air? See attached pics for location of plane and the arbitrary point.

Thanks in advance

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
-niels-
in reply to: reinout.keulen

From what i can tell, the origin's center point is in "mid-air".
This is normal, if you want a center point on your plane you can just project the line you used to make that workplane.
Hope that helps.

Niels van der Veer
Inventor professional user & 3DS Max enthusiast
Vault professional user/manager
The Netherlands

Message 3 of 8
CCarreiras

Hi!

Yes, inside the sketch you can change coordinate system. (You need to have solid elements or snap points and direction)

Also you can create new UCS based in coordinates.

Clipboard09.jpg

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so, use the  Mark Solutions!  Accept as Solution or Give Kudos!Kudos - Thank you!

CCarreiras

EESignature

Message 4 of 8
The_Angry_Elf
in reply to: CCarreiras

Was just about to post that solution Carlos, well done.

Cheers,

Jim O'Flaherty
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Owner - Celtic Design Services, LLC - cdscad.com - An Autodesk Service Partner
We are available for hire. Please DM me or visit our website
Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional * Autodesk Certified Instructor * Autodesk Expert Elite * AU Speaker 2015 through 2022 * AU Speaker Mentor
"Mr. O'Flaherty, never go into small computers. There's no future in them" - Dr. C.S. Choi circa 1984
Message 5 of 8
JDMather

First of all - I don't really see the need for a new workplane - attach your file here when you have actually used it for something.

Second - that projected point is not "floating in mid-air) it is a logical perpendicular projection of the origin.  I would use it as is - the orgin is the single reference. Or projec the line as a point where/how you created the workplane.

My recommendation would be to NOT fool with the coordinate system for this design.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 6 of 8
The_Angry_Elf
in reply to: JDMather

I guess it depends on what the user is trying to accomplish (I was unable to open the attached pics until just now).

I do have to agree with JD as that point does seem to be the projected center point from the "vertical" tube, correct?

Is this not what you want to reference for the new sketch?

But on the other hand, if and when a sketch is created and you actually do need to adjust said sketch, redefining the sketch is the way to go.

Cheers,

Jim O'Flaherty
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Owner - Celtic Design Services, LLC - cdscad.com - An Autodesk Service Partner
We are available for hire. Please DM me or visit our website
Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional * Autodesk Certified Instructor * Autodesk Expert Elite * AU Speaker 2015 through 2022 * AU Speaker Mentor
"Mr. O'Flaherty, never go into small computers. There's no future in them" - Dr. C.S. Choi circa 1984
Message 7 of 8

Hi! If you don't want Inventor to choose sketch coordinate system for you, you should consider using UCS.. You will always get X, Y, and Z the way you like it.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 8 of 8
reinout.keulen
in reply to: -niels-

Thanks, this did the trick. Im going to send this to the persons who are responsible for training us with the software, cause they skipped over this function completely, and ive had need of it a few times now.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report