Inventor General Discussion

Mentor
Winks87
Message 1 of 5 (584 Views)
Accepted Solution

Drawing number - part number

584 Views, 4 Replies
05-08-2012 10:15 AM

Hi all, its been a while, returning IV user, so please bear with me.  Question: I want all parts detailed on a spcific dwg to pull in the drawing number in the titleblock to their i-props.  This way, I can reference the dwgs the parts are detailed on

in the master assembly parts list.  I know there is a way, may have to hit the books!

James Winkler

Product Design Suite Ultimate 2014
Vault Professional 2014
Windows 7 Pro SP1
HP-Z400: 2.67 GHz 12 Gb Ram
Nvidia Quadro FX1800 driver 276.42

*Pro
sbixler
Message 2 of 5 (552 Views)

Re: Drawing number - part number

05-09-2012 04:31 AM in reply to: Winks87

This would have to be custom programmed using VBA or iLogic, it seems to me.  This is not a typical workflow, and a part could be used on more than one drawing-- now what?

Mentor
Winks87
Message 3 of 5 (541 Views)

05-09-2012 05:31 AM in reply to: Winks87

Maybe I wasn't clear, I just want to list the drawing number the parts are detailed on in an assembly parts list.  I have a temporary solution, which is just manually adding the drawing number in an iprop field that I can pull in to the assemblt parts list.  I was looking for a way to automate this, but the more I think about it, I dont see how.  When an individual part is created I have no idea what drawing I am going to detail it on.  Thanks for the reply though.

James Winkler

Product Design Suite Ultimate 2014
Vault Professional 2014
Windows 7 Pro SP1
HP-Z400: 2.67 GHz 12 Gb Ram
Nvidia Quadro FX1800 driver 276.42

*Pro
sbixler
Message 4 of 5 (536 Views)

05-09-2012 05:56 AM in reply to: Winks87

I think this could be easily done with an iLogic rule that you run from the drawing, perhaps triggered by the save event.  If a part ever gets accidentally detailed on more than one drawing, the last one wins.

For what it's worth, we avoid this issue entirely by making the part number = drawing number.

*Expert Elite*
brendan.henderson
Message 5 of 5 (497 Views)

05-10-2012 04:04 PM in reply to: sbixler

Totally agree with sblixer. Part/assembly number = drawing number, and 1 drawing set for each part or assembly number. It just makes it easier to find stuff working with a consistent number for all items.

We also include the drawing number in our Parts List. See graphic.

Capture.JPG

Brendan Henderson
CAD Manager

New Blog | Old Blog | Google+ | Twitter

Inventor 2014 PDS Premium SP2 Update 1, Vault Professional 2014 Subs Release 1 & Update 1

Please use "Accept as Solution" & give "Kudos" if this response helped you.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube