Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drawing View

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
SteveFrey
507 Views, 6 Replies

Drawing View

Is there a way to set the drawing view to be associative or non-associative by default in my .idw template?

Steve Frey
Inventor 2021
Windows 10 Professional 64-bit
HP ZBook 17 G6
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9880H CPU @ 2.30GHz
Memory: 80 GB
NVIDIA Quadro RTX5000
3D Connexion SpaceMouse Wireless
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
JDMather
in reply to: SteveFrey

I think you would have to have multiple View Reps, but the view doesn't exist until created and View Reps are in the part or assembly file.  Sounds like one of the parent/child logic problems.  A child can't exist before the parent.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 7
swhite
in reply to: JDMather

All that link box does is if checked prevents you from hiding any parts unless done in a representational view in the assembly or turning off parts or lines in a projected view. If this box is checked you will be unable to turn off the visibility of any parts or lines. By default all base and projected views are associative to the assembly or part, not controlled by this check box. This check box only makes sure that if a part is hidden in the base view, it will not display in the projected view. if you uncheck this and hide a part, it must be hidden manually in any other views linked to that view, unless it was hidden in a representational view in the assembly or you hid the part before making the projected view. You may or may not choose to check on a base view., it all depends on if you may want to hide part visibility at some point within the drawing instead of setting up a reprresentational view in the assembly. Hit the wrong reply button BTW 🙂

Steven White
Lee C. Moore, Inc.
www.lcm-wci.com
Inventor 2011
Intel Dual Xeon E31225 @ 3.1 GHz CPU
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600 GPU
Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Message 4 of 7
SteveFrey
in reply to: swhite

I usually have at least 5 views where I need to turn off certain parts.  It gets kind of repetitive, that's all.

Steve Frey
Inventor 2021
Windows 10 Professional 64-bit
HP ZBook 17 G6
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9880H CPU @ 2.30GHz
Memory: 80 GB
NVIDIA Quadro RTX5000
3D Connexion SpaceMouse Wireless
Message 5 of 7

HI SteveFrey,

I might be wrong, but I think it defaults to the last used status. Meaning that if you create a view with it checked, then for the next view you create it will default to being checked. I don't know of a way to set to to always be checked/un-checked though.

Of course if you're finding that you're turning off the same parts in all 5 views, then the use of a View Representation would probably be the best approach.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 6 of 7
swhite
in reply to: SteveFrey

Then make sure any projected views have the box checked and all parts in the base view not visible will be turned off in the projected views. But be aware this will prevent you from turning off any parts in the projected views not turned off in the base view. If you know in advance what parts you want visible or not in specific views you might consider using view reps in the assembly to make preset part visibilities.

Steven White
Lee C. Moore, Inc.
www.lcm-wci.com
Inventor 2011
Intel Dual Xeon E31225 @ 3.1 GHz CPU
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600 GPU
Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Message 7 of 7
Mario428
in reply to: swhite

@SWhite wrote:

Then make sure any projected views have the box checked and all parts in the base view not visible will be turned off in the projected views. But be aware this will prevent you from turning off any parts in the projected views not turned off in the base view. If you know in advance what parts you want visible or not in specific views you might consider using view reps in the assembly to make preset part visibilities.

We use view representations all the time. We can break out a single part and still tie it to the BOM of the assembly.

Our IDW files are always based on an assembly and we use views to detail the parts.

We need the associative box to be always checked. If not any editing of the assembly will have all the new or changed parts shown on a view that is onlt supposed to be one parts.

Hope that makes sense and we all hoped there was a way to make the associative box always be checked, would make it easier for us. But I see now the reasoning why that is not the case, not everybody works like we do.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report