Inventor General Discussion

Active Contributor
MarkSmith9762
Message 1 of 10 (1,573 Views)

Drawing View Scale default

1573 Views, 9 Replies
10-07-2011 08:44 AM

Is there a way (IV2012) to have the drawing view default to 1:1 when inserting a detail into the sheet?  Now it tries to select a scale based on who knows what. 

Thanks

Mark Smith

Product Support
VinodBalasubramanian
Message 2 of 10 (1,540 Views)

Re: Drawing View Scale default

10-09-2011 06:21 PM in reply to: MarkSmith9762

It sets the scale of the view, relative to the part or assembly. You can enter the scale in the detail view box, or click the arrow to select from a list of commonly used scales.

Do you want this value to be always defaulted  to 1:1 while creating detail view.If so, I don't think its possible unless there is some value stored in registry. I will check on that and get back to you. But chances are very minimal.

If my post answers your question, please click the "Accept as Solution" button. This helps everyone find answers more quickly!

Vinod Balasubramanian
Active Contributor
MarkSmith9762
Message 3 of 10 (1,526 Views)

10-10-2011 05:58 AM in reply to: VinodBalasubramanian

Thanks.  Yes, I do want it to default to 1:1.  It seems logically that would be the value.

Mark

Distinguished Contributor
acad-caveman
Message 4 of 10 (1,505 Views)

10-10-2011 08:10 AM in reply to: MarkSmith9762

X2 on that request.

Kinda PITA having to click around just to get the mostly obvious 1:1 scale selected, and when one has a blonde moment ( or day ) forgets about it and places the views, exports them to AutoCAD and then find out the oops.

Employee
steven.dennis
Message 5 of 10 (1,486 Views)

10-10-2011 11:59 AM in reply to: acad-caveman

Mark and others,

What we are attempting to do is default to a scale that "fits" on the sheet. Obviously a 1:1 scale for anything bigger than the sheet size would not be appropriate.

There is no way to always default it to your favorite/most appropriate scale.  We will consider this request for a future release.

Give me some help, 1:1 seems to be just as arbitrary to users who might do larger work than you do. Should we add another control on the application tools menu to allow you to select a reasonable default?

Should we remember your last choice as your default for next time? Across session?

From playing with it quickly it looks like the algorithm is to choose a "best" scale and remember that scale for that model next time you use the base view command. If you choose a new model we pick another "best fit" scale for that model.

What do you think?

Steve Dennis
Sr. Principal Engineer
Inventor
Autodesk, Inc.

*Expert Elite*
jtylerbc
Message 6 of 10 (1,474 Views)

10-10-2011 12:26 PM in reply to: MarkSmith9762

What about adding it as part of the View Preferences settings in the Styles & Standards?  Options could include providing a specific default scale, or automatically scaling as it currently does.

This would let users use different Standards to have different drawings behave different ways.  For example, I already have a standard set up to control view labels, line weights, etc. for plate burn patterns.  I would set the default view scale for this standard to be 1:1.

However, on assembly drawings, I would want it to pick a scale based on size, as it currently does.  So on that standard, I would leave it at the "autoscale" setting.

John Tyler
Inventor 2013
Windows 7 64 Bit
Employee
steven.dennis
Message 7 of 10 (1,472 Views)

10-10-2011 12:27 PM in reply to: jtylerbc

That is a reasonable suggestion. Thanks

Steve Dennis
Sr. Principal Engineer
Inventor
Autodesk, Inc.

Active Contributor
MarkSmith9762
Message 8 of 10 (1,461 Views)

10-10-2011 01:12 PM in reply to: steven.dennis

I think that there should be something in the preferances to indicate a default scale or "auto-fit" scale.  That will give the user more control over what he is doing in his drawings.

Thanks.  I hope to see this in a future release.

Mark Smith

Distinguished Contributor
acad-caveman
Message 9 of 10 (1,455 Views)

10-10-2011 01:45 PM in reply to: MarkSmith9762

I like Mark's suggestion of a checkbox of "AutoFit" or "Default". If there is a need to change the default, one would still just click off the checkbox and pick the appropriate scale just as it is done now ( having to override  the automatically selected one).

johnkeane440
Message 10 of 10 (120 Views)

06-03-2014 02:36 AM in reply to: acad-caveman

I agree with the above suggestions. However for now I wish I could stop inventor suggesting the most rediculous scales like 0.03:1. Seriously, who uses a scale like that.

I think a great option would be if I could edit the list of automatic scales available to inventor. That way inventor can still suggest a 'best fit' scale but it will be a useable one from a predetermined list.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube