Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drawing View Scale default

19 REPLIES 19
Message 1 of 20
MarkSmith9762
7104 Views, 19 Replies

Drawing View Scale default

Is there a way (IV2012) to have the drawing view default to 1:1 when inserting a detail into the sheet?  Now it tries to select a scale based on who knows what. 

Thanks

Mark Smith

19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20

It sets the scale of the view, relative to the part or assembly. You can enter the scale in the detail view box, or click the arrow to select from a list of commonly used scales.

Do you want this value to be always defaulted  to 1:1 while creating detail view.If so, I don't think its possible unless there is some value stored in registry. I will check on that and get back to you. But chances are very minimal.

If my post answers your question, please click the "Accept as Solution" button. This helps everyone find answers more quickly!

Vinod Balasubramanian
AutoCAD Industry Support & Escalation Lead

Message 3 of 20

Thanks.  Yes, I do want it to default to 1:1.  It seems logically that would be the value.

Mark

Message 4 of 20

X2 on that request.

Kinda PITA having to click around just to get the mostly obvious 1:1 scale selected, and when one has a blonde moment ( or day ) forgets about it and places the views, exports them to AutoCAD and then find out the oops.

Message 5 of 20
SteveMDennis
in reply to: acad-caveman

Mark and others,

What we are attempting to do is default to a scale that "fits" on the sheet. Obviously a 1:1 scale for anything bigger than the sheet size would not be appropriate.

There is no way to always default it to your favorite/most appropriate scale.  We will consider this request for a future release.

Give me some help, 1:1 seems to be just as arbitrary to users who might do larger work than you do. Should we add another control on the application tools menu to allow you to select a reasonable default?

Should we remember your last choice as your default for next time? Across session?

From playing with it quickly it looks like the algorithm is to choose a "best" scale and remember that scale for that model next time you use the base view command. If you choose a new model we pick another "best fit" scale for that model.

What do you think?

Steve Dennis
Sr. Principal Engineer
Inventor
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 6 of 20
jtylerbc
in reply to: MarkSmith9762

What about adding it as part of the View Preferences settings in the Styles & Standards?  Options could include providing a specific default scale, or automatically scaling as it currently does.

This would let users use different Standards to have different drawings behave different ways.  For example, I already have a standard set up to control view labels, line weights, etc. for plate burn patterns.  I would set the default view scale for this standard to be 1:1.

However, on assembly drawings, I would want it to pick a scale based on size, as it currently does.  So on that standard, I would leave it at the "autoscale" setting.

Message 7 of 20
SteveMDennis
in reply to: jtylerbc

That is a reasonable suggestion. Thanks

Steve Dennis
Sr. Principal Engineer
Inventor
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 8 of 20

I think that there should be something in the preferances to indicate a default scale or "auto-fit" scale.  That will give the user more control over what he is doing in his drawings.

Thanks.  I hope to see this in a future release.

Mark Smith

Message 9 of 20

I like Mark's suggestion of a checkbox of "AutoFit" or "Default". If there is a need to change the default, one would still just click off the checkbox and pick the appropriate scale just as it is done now ( having to override  the automatically selected one).

Message 10 of 20
johnkeane440
in reply to: acad-caveman

I agree with the above suggestions. However for now I wish I could stop inventor suggesting the most rediculous scales like 0.03:1. Seriously, who uses a scale like that.

I think a great option would be if I could edit the list of automatic scales available to inventor. That way inventor can still suggest a 'best fit' scale but it will be a useable one from a predetermined list.

Message 11 of 20
bructanner
in reply to: SteveMDennis

I know this is a old thread ,but, I'm looking to add scales to the default selection when you put a base view into a drawing. I understand that you can just type in what ever scale you like. but I want them to stay there forever. as of now every time you close the program(inventor) or you happen to crash you loose all of your scales.

Message 12 of 20
Mark.Lancaster
in reply to: bructanner

Open your Inventor drawing template.   Select the Manage ribbon tab/Styles Editor.   Select your Active Standard, the General Tab, and change the preset value list to Scale.   Add/remove the scales your need.

8-13-2015 9-28-32 AM.jpg

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 13 of 20
bructanner
in reply to: Mark.Lancaster

AND ONCE I DO THIS IT WILL BE A PERMANENT CHANGE A CROSSED ALL DRAWING TEMPS OR WILL I HAVE TO EVERY TEMPLATE AND EVERY TIME I START UP ?
Message 14 of 20
Mark.Lancaster
in reply to: bructanner

You can do one of the following:

1.  In your design data folder (see application options/files tab to determine the location of the design data), edit the standards.xml file and edit the <scale list> section.

2.  Or make the change in all of your drawing templates.  <-- Meaning you need to open the template directly and not start a new drawing.

Once you do this the information is maintained...

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 15 of 20
kylelp88
in reply to: jtylerbc

My company just upgraded to Inventor 16 and now it is even worse with changing the scale.  Before we used Inventor 14 and it only seemed to scale down ridiculous huge parts or round parts (for some reason).  Now it scales almost everything down including things that easily fit 1:1.  I'm not used to having to scale things back up everytime I place them so sometimes it goes unoticed.  This is a major inconvenience.  

Any chance I'm overlooking them and Autodesk added any of these setting options discussed earlier in this post?

Message 16 of 20
mrack42
in reply to: johnkeane440

100% YUP!
Message 17 of 20
SBix26
in reply to: kylelp88

The only thing that you may be overlooking is that it's easier to change the scale as you place the view-- just grab one of the corners of the view and drag it larger.  I believe that it increments by the scale list from your drawing's Standard.  If your list is short, you should be able to get to 1:1 much quicker than clicking in the dialog box and scrolling the list.

Sam B

Inventor Professional 2016 R3 SP2
Vault Basic 2016 SP1
Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit, SP1
Autodesk_Inventor_Certified_Professional_Badge.png

Message 18 of 20
ROOSTER81
in reply to: SteveMDennis

Make it change the sheet size instead? I agree random scaling is a pain... 

Message 19 of 20
ROOSTER81

Surprise thank you 5 years after your post, this is awesome. Hopefully I did it all correctly, saved a copy of the standards.xml just in case, but so far working as intended. 

Message 20 of 20
ROOSTER81

Ok maybe I spoke too soon , its throwing random scales. Does the ipt need to be created on the PC that the idw is being created on ??

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report