Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drawing Center lines

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
hansome_one
1016 Views, 5 Replies

Drawing Center lines

All,

I have a bit of a head scratcher for center line creation in a drawing. I am doing a revision on a drawing and since we are a smaller company (2 drafters) we each use local standards on each machine, and try to create drawings that look similar at the end of the day, and utilize a central repository for all files.  Now, the drawing was created using standard #B on the other PC, and I am revising on my PC with the standard #A.  Here is the Work flow:

Ref. "Correct Standard#A

Create the base view,go to Annotate tab>symbols>select center Line, then select the outer most hole (ref #2 on CL image), then select the inner most diameter feature on the view (ref #1 on CL image), which in return creates a center from the center origin to the outer most hole.  The extension line for the inner diameter only extends just beyond (which comes from my standards settings) the circle entity that I selected.  I can then select the short perpendicularity center mark that was created and delete that one, and grab the grip from the extension line farthest from the hole and drag it back to the center origin, which just leaves a short mark as you can see in the supplied image.  This is the way my styles & standards work with my machine.

REF. "CL Image"

Now the same process is used for the drawing I am revising that was created on PC #2 with the different styles & stds. Now the difference is that I cannot drag the grip point back to the center origin like I have in PC#1.  Its like the grip is constrained to the inner diameter feature that I used to create the centerline & it will not allow me to drag the grip point back to the center origin.

Checks & updates

Center mark styles - changed & made the same.

Dimension styles - changed & made the same.

Projects - "Use style library" Read - Write yes

I am really not sure what setting in my styles (i am guessing) that i am missing, or where else I need to Look.  Ahhh is getting a litttle frustrating. Any help or direction mucho apprecieted.  I am the intitled cad manager here, so I have a good working knowledge of IV, or so I thought.

2016 Inventor
W7 - 64 bit
i7 2.6ghz
16g Ram - 3000M
Design Consultant
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
cbenner
in reply to: hansome_one

Instead of changing one machine to be the same as the other, export your "correct" standard, and then import it on the other machine.  Then you know they are exactly the same.

Message 3 of 6
hansome_one

Thanks for the tip. That may not be a bad idea. I was working on the setting first. I know that our S&S do very just slightly (ie Layers, misc. text, BOMs) because of the level that each tech goes into. I seem to have larger more complex designs.  I had a brief thought about just exporting just the center mark style, but i am not sold that the setting is right there.  So in short its not my PC and styles, mine work fine, but i think that I need to find this setting. 

Thanks. CB..

2016 Inventor
W7 - 64 bit
i7 2.6ghz
16g Ram - 3000M
Design Consultant
Message 4 of 6
hansome_one

Quick update.  I have found out some things.

I used a slot for my test geometry. When I start the CL command & select the outer 2 radii & enter out, the end points of the "centerline" & "center marks" are constrained to the geomentry at the minimum settings in the CM style. Now you can grab the grips and drag them out & that is it. 

It seems to lead back to "layers". In Layers, it looks as though in the column "scale by line Weight", both CM & CL have been checked.  My tests confirm that when this is checked, the CM & CL get constrained to the geometry.  However though,  now if you un-check them, the CM & CL constraining does NOT go away to existing marks, or if you delete and create so more, so i don't know how to reset this????  ahhhh. dang it.  Just an update.  Maybe someone else may have some deep thoughts for logic at this point..

Cheers

2016 Inventor
W7 - 64 bit
i7 2.6ghz
16g Ram - 3000M
Design Consultant
Message 5 of 6
mcgyvr

Just pointing it out again.. (rub your nose in it)

If you have more than 1 user of Inventor its silly to have local standards... It only creates problems and solves NONE that way..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 6 of 6
hansome_one
in reply to: mcgyvr

I do not dis agree.  However, I entered this situation and am trying to clean up and be productive.

2016 Inventor
W7 - 64 bit
i7 2.6ghz
16g Ram - 3000M
Design Consultant

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report