Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dome shape using surface

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
Anonymous
1581 Views, 12 Replies

Dome shape using surface

Can we create a irregular angle dome shape using inventor 10? and how do we do that roughly?
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
JDMather
in reply to: Anonymous

Yes.

Do you have a picture? Irregular angle dome shape isn't descriptive enough. I'm sure something that could be described that way could be created in Inventor 10, but it might be a long way from what you actually want.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous

If you could post a jpeg of what you are looking for, that would help.
By "dome" do you mean something that could be revolved or are you
referring to some form of convoluted or complex surface?

salam wrote:

>Can we create a irregular angle dome shape using inventor 10? and how do we do that roughly?
>
>
Message 4 of 13
Anonymous

I think it solved using loft with different work planes & sketches. i dont know whether there is a better way to do this.
Message 5 of 13
Josh_Petitt

use a lofted "tube" composed of splines
Message 6 of 13
vweaver

I am trying to do the same thing, except i need the 'top' of the irregular solid to be smoothly curved, instead of a 'pointy' flat as done here.  Suggestions?

Message 7 of 13
JDMather

This has completely changed since this thread was originally posted.

Attach the file here of what you have so far.

'What version of Inventor are you using?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 8 of 13
vweaver
in reply to: JDMather

I have nothing so far, really- I've been playing around, but have only been able to accomplish similar objects to the one attached above.  I attached a picl of what I'm trying to mimic- it is an embossing wheel for distressing wood moulding.  This particular one was created with welding material.   I would  like to create a 3D surface with similar geometry in order to use the cut function on other pieces of material, to simulate embossing the wood.

I am using Inventor 2012

Message 9 of 13
JDMather
in reply to: vweaver

There are several ways to go about this.

Your Loft geometry is a little rough (undercut at top) but the general idea is Delete Face that top face and then Patch it with a Tangent patch and Stitch or Sculpt back to a solid.

Often you can simply Split a face, Delete Face and Patch.  Several variations of this.

Dome.png

Dome 2.PNG

If you take your Sketch3 out of the Loft you get a good idea of the results using a Tangent Boundary Patch.

Sometimes you go past where you want (for example - include Sketch3 and then use a workplane or some other Split method to trim back the solid before Deleting the face and Patching.  You can eliminate the Delete face step in some cases by modeling a surfaces to begin with.

Message 10 of 13
JimSteinmeyer

JD,

I have Matt Lombard's book on surfacing for SW. Is there a simular book for Inventor that yu would reccomend? I am also wondering about a more advanced book for modeling that would cover Ilogic, factorys, and APis in more detail than the inital Essentials book does?

Thank you

Jim

Inventor Premium 2013 SP1.1
Vault 2013- plain vanilla version
HP G71 notebook
celeron cpu w\ 4gb RAM and 64 bit system
Win 7 home premium

Ya, my boss has me running my personal machine at work.
Message 11 of 13
JDMather
in reply to: JimSteinmeyer

@JimSteinmeyer wrote:

JD,

I have Matt Lombard's book on surfacing for SW. Is there a simular book for Inventor ...

I have not seen a book on the topic, just bit-and-pieces.  Fortunately most of the functionality is identical to SWx.

Matt's book and Ed Eaton's Curvy Stuff tutorials are what I used (and an old MDT surfacing book) to learn surfacing in Inventor.

I would attempt a book on the topic myself, but all the information that I can gather indicates that it would not be worth my time in terms of remuneration.  Also, I am a bit disappointed with Autodesk putting trivial pieces of Alias edit tools in that Inventor Fusion (which shouldn't exist as product).  If they had done it correctly - Inventor would have really outpaced SWx.

Message 12 of 13
JimSteinmeyer

Thank you. I will just pull out Matt's book and brush up. I recieved a baptism by fire with surfacing in SWx when my last company contracted a couple of guys to give us models for body panels on our product that had never had body panels before. I was given some Alias files and told to make'em work. Such fun for someone who had never considered surfacing before.

Jim

Inventor Premium 2013 SP1.1
Vault 2013- plain vanilla version
HP G71 notebook
celeron cpu w\ 4gb RAM and 64 bit system
Win 7 home premium

Ya, my boss has me running my personal machine at work.
Message 13 of 13
vweaver

That looks great, JD.  I've had to switch gears to another project, but soon as I get a chance, I will use your solution (the second one- Tangent boundary patch).

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report