Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Display option: thread feature - off by default in Inventor 2015

38 REPLIES 38
SOLVED
Message 1 of 39
mrattray
16877 Views, 38 Replies

Display option: thread feature - off by default in Inventor 2015

I've started playing around in the trial version of 2015 while I wait for my SN. I've discovered that for some reason, in the drawing environment, all views come in by default with the display option "Thread Feature" turned off. This is different from previous releases and is EXTREMELY annoying. There are times when I don't want to show threads, but that is not common.

Capture.JPG

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

38 REPLIES 38
Message 2 of 39
mdavis22569
in reply to: mrattray

It seems that there is a lot more "set up" in this version .... I already changed my 2 template from Dwg default to idw... that was noticed earlier. I think they really like to keep people on their toes.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 3 of 39
mcgyvr
in reply to: mdavis22569

Autodesk motto..

"Two mouse clicks are always better than one"  Smiley Very Happy

pfft... who needs to see threads anyways Smiley Surprised

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 4 of 39
mrattray

Also, pressing "T" for general text note in a drawing creates a sketch.
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 5 of 39
mrattray

Also, the parts list auto-sort functionality is a great idea, but when the BOM doesn't also auto-sort it ends up being another half implemented feature.
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 6 of 39
mrattray

A VBA macro that was working fine in 2015 yesterday suddenly doesn't know what a FileSystemObject type is. I made no changes to the IVB file whatsoever.
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 7 of 39
ChrisMitchell01

The issue with Threads not being displayed in part drawing views by default, was the result of a project to make various drawing view settings become persistent across Inventor sessions.

The default of "off" can be remedied by setting 

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk\Inventor\RegistryVersion19.0\Applets\DrawingLayout\Preferences\DrawingFormat]
"BaseViewDefPart"=dword:01111501

After that it will be remembered. This might be useful for use in a team type situation where you want to preset/deploy this.

Other values that are now better persisted are:

1. Thread Edges

2. Interference Edges

3. Tangent Edges/Foreshortened

4. Hidden Line on/Removed View

5. Shaded View

Each of these is stored by view type, (Ortho, ISO, etc), as well as by filetype, (iam, ipt, ipn).

Regarding the issue with "T" now starting a new sketch & creating sketch based text, that seems to be an artifact of the fact that the sketch tab is now always active in 2015, in part modeling, & it seems we missed that duplicate "T" command alias - I've created a defect for further investigation & will let you know if I find a workaround.

Thanks,

Chris

Chris Mitchell
PDMS Customer Engagment Team
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 8 of 39
mrattray
in reply to: ChrisMitchell01

Thanks, Chris, much better now!
This feature would really only be useful to me if I could set different defaults for sheet metal flat pattern views versus folded views, as flat patterns are usually when I want to hide threads.
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 9 of 39
mrattray

It appears that export flat pattern as DXF (RMB on flat pattern node > save copy as) now no longer holds my custom ini file as the default. I never had this problem before in earlier versions.
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 10 of 39
dan_inv09

I've had that with every release.

You have to place a view before you can change it (and remember to delete that view before you "save as Template").

Message 11 of 39
Fori123

Chris,

i have tried to turn on the threaded feature to on by default. is this the correct spot to make the change? i tried it once but it did not appear to save.

Message 12 of 39
mrattray
in reply to: Fori123

That looks right, Fori. Here's a screen shot of mine with the new value showing the full path:

Capture.JPG

Edit: Make sure you have Inventor closed when you do this, I don't think it would be happy with you hacking the registry while it's running.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 13 of 39
Fori123

i think my issue was io had the leading 0 in place. thank you for your help that worked now.

Message 14 of 39
jmlip

Hi Chris,

How about setting the default for assemblies?  What is the dword for that?

Thanks,

Joan

Message 15 of 39
ChrisMitchell01
in reply to: jmlip

Please see this article for additional info about this:

http://beinginventive.typepad.com/being-inventive/2014/06/persistent-drawing-view-options-in-2015-th...

Thanks,
Chris

Chris Mitchell
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 16 of 39
jmlip

Thanks Chris!

Message 17 of 39
Airlake

I'm not quite sure how to change this setting of the default thread feature. can you give it to me step by step?

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk\Inventor\RegistryVersion19.0\Applets\DrawingLayout\Preferences\DrawingFormat]
"BaseViewDefPart"=dword:01111501

Message 18 of 39
ChrisMitchell01
in reply to: Airlake

Jim,

Setting this through a registry setting is only really necessary now, if you want to roll this out as part of a larger scale deployment. If you just want to set this to be your default on your own machine, you can create a drawing & when placing a view you can go to the Display Options tab & check the box that says Thread Feature & then it will be remembered going forward.

There's quite a bit more info in http://beinginventive.typepad.com/being-inventive/2014/06/persistent-drawing-view-options-in-2015-th...

Hope this helps,
Chris

Chris Mitchell
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 19 of 39
Airlake

Chris, i have tried this several times and it still defaults back to an unchecked box. 

i have tried to change it in the registry but mind looks like this? registry.png

Message 20 of 39
ChrisMitchell01
in reply to: Airlake

Looks like you created it under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE instead of HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk\Inventor\RegistryVersion19.0\Applets\DrawingLayout\Preferences\DrawingFormat

-Chris

Chris Mitchell
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report