Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Display only portion of assembly in an Inventor drawing view

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
DRoam
1903 Views, 5 Replies

Display only portion of assembly in an Inventor drawing view

Hi all,

Is there a way to have a view in a sheet that displays a few specific components of an master assembly? There is a motor/gear-box assembly within my master assembly that I don't want to make a separate assembly for BOM purposes, but I want a .ipn view with the motor/gear-box "assembly" exploded. I tried making everything else in the master assembly "not visible" for the particular .ipn view, which works fine, but if I add or replace anything in the master assembly, those additions appear in the motor/gear-box .ipn and screw up the view.

I could just make a whole new assembly for the motor/gear-box and use that for the exploded view, but I would rather the view update to reflect slight changes I make in the motor/gear-box "assembly" from within the master assembly.

So can I create a .ipn view and say, "I want these particular components of an assemly to appear in this view but nothing else"?

Thanks for your help,

Derek

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
EScales
in reply to: DRoam

Create a new LOD (Level Of Detail) in your master assembly, so you only have the motor/gear-box assembly displayed.

Create a new .ipn and when selecting the master assembly, you can choose which LOD you want to use.  Select the new LOD that only displays the motor/gear-box assembly.

When you create a view of the .ipn on the drawing, it will display only what is visible in the LOD that was used in the ipn.

Message 3 of 6
blair
in reply to: EScales

I would probably use the "View Rep's" instead of LOD's. You have a few more options available as LOD is more of a memory management tool. You can easily copy the LOD's into a View-Rep.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 4 of 6
Curtis_Waguespack

Hi DRoam,

As the others have said, If you use a representation in your IPN view, you'll be able to control parts as you add or remove them. I discuss this at this link using a color change as an example, but the same would apply to visibility changes:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/Batch-Part-Selection/m-p/3371391#M428592

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 5 of 6
SBix26

I, too, would use a View Representation for this, but once you have it including the parts you want, you need to lock it.  If you don't lock it, new parts added to the assembly will be included.

However, you might also consider making the motor-gearbox into a Phantom Assembly.  That makes it a subassembly, so that you can easily keep control of what's in it, but making it Phantom means that as far as the BOM is concerned, all the parts are still at the master level.  To make the assembly Phantom, just change its BOM Attribute to "Phantom", either through the BOM Editor at the higher level, or through Document Settings.

Sam B
Inventor 2012 Certified Professional

Please click "Accept as Solution" if this response answers your question.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor Professional 2013 SP1.1 Update 1
Windows XP Pro 32-bit, SP3
HP EliteBook 8730w; 4 GB RAM; Core™ 2 Duo T9400 2.53 GHz; Quadro FX2700M
SpaceExplorer/SpaceNavigator NB, driver 3.7.18
still waiting for a foreshortened radius dimensioning tool in Drawing Manager

Message 6 of 6
DRoam

All of those sound like workable solutions, I'll have to play around and see which one works best. Thanks to all of you!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report