Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Display / Grphics Card settings

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
davef
556 Views, 4 Replies

Display / Grphics Card settings

Hi,

I know - this has probably been asked many times.  My search yielded no clear answers, though. 

In everyday use with Inventor - I'm pretty unimpressed with the display of curved surfaces.  I can live with the surfaces as they are now displayed, but I'm wondering if I can improve things by tweaking a setting.  I am using a gaming type card, which may explain some of this.  (Although I understand that gaming cards aren't so evil nowadays with DirectX.)  Specifically, I have a GeForce 660 Ti with 2 Gb ram.  Any advice on a setting (with the Nvidia control panel or in Inventor) to eliminate (or improve) ugly displays like the attached screen grab?

Thanks for any advice you can send my way.

Cheers,

Dave

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
blair
in reply to: davef

The quality setting in IV's Applications is about it. Check that you are on the most current Windows certified graphics drivers would be the other. Also chech that you are current on all Inventor SP's and hot-fixes.

ADSK is working on fixing a couple of graphics issues that have shown up in IV2014 that weren't in IV2013.

ADSK points the finger at Microsoft which points the finger at the graphics cards. It is better than before when we were stuck with OpenGL (at least in my mind).

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 5
pcrawley

That image shows a surface that's coincident with the outer face of a thin-wall solid right?  (Hard to see exactly.)

If it's just a case of "I don't like the way it looks", you could just make the surface (or the solid) not visible.  The solid will look fine on its own - or the surface - but not both together like that.  I had some iLogic somewhere that runs through a part making all surfaces not visible.  If you are interested I'll see if I can find it.

It doesn't seem to make any difference regarding the graphics card type for this particular problem - I see exactly that sort of weirdness on all sorts of hardware configurations from both ends of the price spectrum.

Peter
Message 4 of 5
davef
in reply to: pcrawley

Blair and Pcrawley,

Thank you both for your help.  I will check for updates.

Pcrawley, you are correct.  I had a surface coincident with a solid.  I have about 100 hours of Inventor experience now.  This was just my second or third use of the thicken feature command and didn't realize that the surface would remain visible.  I need to experiment a bit and see how the thicken fuinction works. While I didn't pay close attention until your heads up - I just assumed the surfaces would be consummed by the thicken features.  Turns out that the surfaces weren't consummed and remained visable.  This may be just how Inventor works, or perhaps the surfaces weren't consumed by the thicken features because they were created with a shared sketch.  I'll play around with this to become more familiar with these tools.  Making the surfaces invisable solved the issue.

Thank you again.

-Dave

Message 5 of 5
LT.Rusty

Surfaces don't get consumed by Thicken.  You'll just have to turn them off after you're done with them.

You can also use the DELETE FACE command, but then they'll be gone gone, not just invisible, and if you need them later you won't have them available.

Rusty

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report