Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dimensioning issues

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
Jatomz616
827 Views, 11 Replies

Dimensioning issues

How do I make the dimension shown black instead of pink? I had to suppress the fillet from the drawing in order to grab the edge to get the true dimension then when i unsuppressed the fillet the dimensions turned pink. I also used a section view but that did not fix my problem either.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
JDMather
in reply to: Jatomz616

Drag the blue dot back to it's reference attachment point.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 12
Jatomz616
in reply to: JDMather

it won't let me grab the blue dot.

Message 4 of 12
Cadmanto

The pink color means they are dangling dimensions.

You just have to reconnect the end that is dangling (grab the dimension extention line)

and reconnect it.

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 5 of 12
Jatomz616
in reply to: Cadmanto

since I suppressed the fillet in order to apply the dimension when i unsuppressed the fillet the dimensions turned pink, but because there is a fillet i cannot grab the blue dot or reattach it to anything because there isn't anything to attach it to.

Message 6 of 12
SBix26

You might have some success with a sketched line or other geometry.  If you can constrain something in a view sketch to the correct location, then attach your dimension to that, then change the sketch geometry to Sketch Only, you should get the result you're hoping for.

Sam B
Inventor 2012 Certified Professional

Please click "Accept as Solution" if this response answers your question.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor Professional 2013 SP1.1 Update 1
Windows XP Pro 32-bit, SP3
HP EliteBook 8730w; 4 GB RAM; Core™ 2 Duo T9400 2.53 GHz; Quadro FX2700M
SpaceExplorer/SpaceNavigator NB, driver 3.7.18
still waiting for a foreshortened radius dimensioning tool in Drawing Manager

Message 7 of 12
Jatomz616
in reply to: SBix26

how do you change the sketch geometry to sketch only? I also made a point to constrain the dimesion to but i could not get the dimension to constrain to that point.

Message 8 of 12
SBix26

Sketch Only Toggle.PNG

Sam B

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 9 of 12
Jatomz616

i created a sketch with two endpoint in a right angle and another small line where i wanted to end the dimension, but when i created the sketch it was in the sheet view, so although it got a dimension it was not on the right plane and unable to switch planes. I also created the same sketch in object view for the part i wanted to dimension, and it would let me select both points to dimension but it would not actually create the dimension.

Message 10 of 12
SBix26

Can you post the part and drawing, or something similar that illustrates the problem?

Sam B

Message 11 of 12
Jatomz616

Here is the part and a drawing file. I supressed the fillet in order to get the dimension on the part, but when i unsupressed the fillet the dimension turned purple. I made a sketch on the same plane as the dimension and created a point to snap the dimension to but the dimension would not grab the point. The sketch point is located near the right endpoint on the left dimension.

Message 12 of 12
SBix26

OK, this is a really tough one, but I found a solution.  Using the Split tool in the part, split the two vertical faces below the fillets using the YZ plane.  This produces a vertical line in the drawing view which can be used to produce the dimensions you want.  You will have to temporarily change the view to show hidden lines so you can see the one side.  Then turn off visibility of the lines.

Sam B

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums