Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dimensioning Metric Drawing in Inventor 2015

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
rickduley
2760 Views, 4 Replies

Dimensioning Metric Drawing in Inventor 2015

I have created a part in metric (file attached).  Obviously, I would like its drawing to be dimensioned in metric.  Try as I might, all I can create is a drawing dimensioned in Imperial (file attached).  Neither of my textbooks is any help (they were written by people who work in Imperial Smiley Happy ).  

Would someone please enlighten me as to the steps I must take to get a metric-dimensioned drawing?

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
mrattray
in reply to: rickduley

Everything you need is in the styles manager. Go to the dimensions node and create a dimension style that suites your needs. There should be plenty of information about this in the help files.
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 3 of 5
johnsonshiue
in reply to: rickduley

There are a few ways to do it. Here are some ideas to consider.

1) I bet you install Inventor using English standard and all your default Standard templates are English based. You can easily swap Standard templates by going to Tools -> Application Options -> File -> Configure Default Template.

2) If the drawig is already English based, you can go to Manage -> Styles Editor and set default standard to Metric.

3) Or you can recreate the drawing via Metric template.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 4 of 5
Paul-Mason
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Click on the create new file icon

When you see

PM screen shot002.png

Click on METRIC and you'll see somthing like :-

PM screen shot001.png

This WILL NOT look exactly the same as yours as a) I'm using 2014 and b) I deleted some of the out of the box templates as I don't use them. Any how click on thew appropriate metric template now if it has been set up right it should already have metric units set as the default

the other way is to add the template path to you project file like this :- expand older option select Templates and add \metric\ at the end from adding this until either changing or starting a new project the metric template will be used by default.

PM screen shot003.png

==============
Inventor 2023 Pro
HP Z420 workstation
Xeon 3.7Ghz CPU 8 Cores, 64 GB Ram
64bit (The Garbage known as) Windows 10 Pro
AMD FirePro V3900 (ATI FireGL) (1GB RAM)
=================
Ashington Northumberland (UK) ~ Home to the WORLD FAMOUS Pitman Painters Group
Message 5 of 5
Vagulus
in reply to: Paul-Mason

I never did thank you guys, but - better late than never.

Thanks, Guys.

"If you can't explain it to a six-year-old,
you don't understand it yourself"
Albert Einstein

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report