Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dimensioning 3D models for MasterCAM

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
patricksalvador
1994 Views, 6 Replies

Dimensioning 3D models for MasterCAM

Is there a way to dimension a 3D model that will appear in Mastercam?  

We are toying with the idea of eliminating 2D drawings.  I would like to dimension and tolerance a 3d model and send the model to the machine shop.  When they open the model in MasterCam to programme their CNC they should see the dimensions.  They will also use this to verify their parts after machining.

Is it possible to do this with Inventor or some add-on software?  This would work very well for HSMworks if I can dimension the 3D model.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
mcgyvr
in reply to: patricksalvador

They started playing around with it a few years ago.. and as far as I know it never made it out of the labs..

http://labs.blogs.com/its_alive_in_the_lab/2010/07/3d-annotation-for-inventor-now-available.html

Inventor is WAY behind on this IMO.. I saw it in SwX way before Autodesk did anything about it.

3D PMI is the future... 

Not possible at this time AFAIK..

I CAN'T WAIT FOR 3D PMI

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 7
chad38
in reply to: mcgyvr

Agreed. Edge has it as well. I can't even begin to think of how many ways this will be useful, but it's usefulness just in modeling was amazing.

HP Z420 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E5-1603 0 @ 2.80 GHz 2.80 GHz
12.0 GB RAM
Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit
3D Connexion Space Pilot
Solid Edge ST9 MP1

Inventor Professional 2015
Autocad 2015
SolidWorks 2015
Message 4 of 7
JDMather

@mcgyvr wrote:
... I saw it in SwX way before Autodesk did anything about it.

...and I think I saw it in Pro/E Wildfire before SWx.
I followed this for a while (6 or 7 yrs ago) thinking it would catch on quickly, but haven't done much research myself lately.

I could be wrong, but I think Creo is still ahead of SWx or Inventor on this and my impression is that the (r2013) SWx implimentation isn't particularly noteworthy.

In any case I think as soon as you go to a 3rd party (like MasterCAM), all is lost.  If I am wrong and out-of-date on my information - those in the know, please enlighten.  As I stated, I haven't followed this topic (Y14.41) in a while, especially as it would translate between CAD and CAM from different vendors.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 5 of 7
blair

It was in the beta for IV2014 but never made it into the production version of IV2014. Don't know what will be coming down the pipeline.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 6 of 7
pcrawley
in reply to: patricksalvador

Can't disagree with any of the above regarding 3d annotation, but what about looking at the problem from a different angle...

Have you had a look at "the future" of CAM?  (Sorry - couldn't resist - someone mentioned "the future" being 3d annotations earlier in the thread.)

http://cam.autodesk.com/hsm

Peter
Message 7 of 7

Hi guys,

Is the tool that used to be in labs still availlable and will it work with never versions of inventor?

Luné

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report