Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodeskā€™s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Dimension anomaly

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
LMajors666
536 Views, 5 Replies

Dimension anomaly

Found a funny thing while playing with dimensions in an IV2011 sketch. Draw a line  and a circle, do not constrain anything, then dimension from the line to the circle's tangent. Ok so far. Now try the same dimension to the other side of the circle (see Sketch 1 attached). To my way of thinking this should work but I get the message in Sketch 2 on placement.

Am I wrong in my thinking?

Leigh

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
SBix26
in reply to: LMajors666

It works as expected for me in 2011...  If you start a new sketch in a new part, it won't let you place the dimension to the far side of the circle?

Message 3 of 6
johnsonshiue

Hi! I can reproduce the behavior you described here. The reason why Inventor complains that the dimension already exists is because in terms of participants, there is already indeed a tangent distance dimension existing between the circle and the line. It is possible there is an internal limitation that prohibit users from creating two tangent distance dimensions on the same pair of participants for stability reason. I am able to create another tangent distancedimension to another line though. I need to double check with development. For now, I would assume this is a limitation.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 4 of 6
LMajors666
in reply to: SBix26

Sam,

New part, new sketch, no constraints applied, and no, it won't let me apply the dimension as described.

Johnson,

I hope this can be resolved. It isn't a show stopper, but it would be handy with my workflow.

Thanks all

Leigh

Message 5 of 6
conklinjm

While not ideal, you could;

1. Create line

2. Create circle

3. Create primary tangent dimensions (from line to far side of circle)

4. Create construction line

5. Create secondary tangent dimension (from construction line to near side of circle)

6. Apply collinear constraint between line and construction line

This would at least give you a similar dimension schema for your part.

HTH

Message 6 of 6
johnsonshiue

Hi! I am forwarding this request to product design.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report