Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dimension/Tolerance issue

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
SK83
592 Views, 3 Replies

Dimension/Tolerance issue

Hello,

I am looking for advice on a problem I’ve encountered.

I'm looking to use Inventor 3D models in manufacturing. In a step to achieve this we will be modelling to Mid size, therefore using the ‘Median’ option in dimension properties, then select the appropriate fit.

The problem I have encountered is when creating the 2D Drawing.

When  ‘retrieve dimensions’ is used, there is no issue, the nominal dimension is displayed with the selected fit driven by the model. The problem occurs when I dimension the part manually and apply the same fit, this dimension will be driven from the actual model size – which is the mid dimension.

Is there any way round this? Where, if the drawing is being dimensioned manually it will calculate the tolerance from the nominal size?

I have attached a PDF of a quick example – showing the same part however with different dimensions.

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: SK83

Set the model tolerance to nominal, then you will get the same thing using drawing dimensions.

Of course this will change the size of the model to the nomimal size specified in the model dimension.

I use the retrieved dimensions from the model, they will show the same regardless of the size (except for the underline).

Message 3 of 4
SK83
in reply to: Anonymous

Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately I'm  modelling to mid size, so need to use Median. Also in some instances certain dimensions need to be added manually as retrieve dimension does not show them as we require.

Stuart

Message 4 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: SK83

You should be able to retrieve most model dimensions if your drawing view is normal to the sketch plane of the dimension you are trying to retrieve.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report