Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did everyone else get AutoCAD 2014 with PDSU 2014?

21 REPLIES 21
SOLVED
Message 1 of 22
SeanFarr
2101 Views, 21 Replies

Did everyone else get AutoCAD 2014 with PDSU 2014?

I don't have a separate installer like normal for AutoCAD 2014 in my 2014 tab of subscription center. Does everyone else have it?

CAD2014.png

Thanks!

Sean Farr
Product Designer at TESInc.ca

Inventor Professional 2014-Update 2 - AutoCAD Electrical 2014
Win7-x64 | ASUS P8Z77-V | i7 3770 -3.4 GHz | 32GB RAM |
240GB SSD | nVidia GTX 670 4GB - 320.49
21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22
camilo.lemos
in reply to: SeanFarr

Hi Sean,

The Install Now download option will allow you to select only the products you need to install from the Suite.

More about this here.

Best regards,

Camilo Lemos

Message 3 of 22
SeanFarr
in reply to: camilo.lemos

I had no problem downloading and installing PDSU 2014, but AutoCAD 2014 is not bundled up with that suite (normally),

Here is a snap of my 2013 tab.

CAD2014-2.png

When I press the 2014 tab, all that is available is PDSU, and I think that AutoCAD 2014 is part of the bundle but has its own installer?

Sean Farr

Message 4 of 22
cbenner

You are not alone in this, it's the new way to do it.  You can download and install Autocad right from the product site, download the trial version and then activate it fully during the install using the Product Key information from the Suite.  It works just fine, though I don't know why they decided to do it differently this year.

Message 5 of 22
camilo.lemos

Hi Sean,

AutoCAD is part of Product Design Suite Ultimate 2014, here's a page showing all products contained in that suite.

Regarding your AutoCAD 2014 not showing in your downloads page, could you please send me the serial number of your AutoCAD 2014 or your subscription contract number via Private Message (click on my camilo.lemos profile name and then on Send This User a Private Message)?

Thank you,

Camilo Lemos

Message 6 of 22
SeanFarr
in reply to: cbenner

Hey Chris,

I followed your instruction and it worked out great,

Thanks,

on a side note, I sent my serial to Camilo and he replied back with this...

"I do not see a "vanilla" AutoCAD attached to your subscription contract, which is probably why you can't see a separate download link for this product alone.

Up to the 2013 version - when, for the most part, we did not have the Install Now option - separate links could be provided for the most popular programs in a suite. With the addition of Install Now to the download options, you can download the products separately using the suite Install Now download button as mentioned on my first reply to your post."

Am I missing something? I thought that PDSUltimate came with AutoCAD, or am I not understanding how the "Install Now" options works. I checked my PDSU installer and there was no AutoCAD program in the suite. Just AutoCAD Electrical and Mechanical.

Anyways, I got AutoCAD 2014 installed and activated.

Thanks!

Sean Farr

Message 7 of 22
mcgyvr

I believe I too remember seeing some note about mech and elec included but you needed to download vanilla by itself. (man my memory is fading.. I only did it last Friday)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 8 of 22
SeanFarr
in reply to: mcgyvr

Yea I remember for 2013 release, that mech and elec were part of the Suite installer and for some reason the vanilla AutoCAD was on its own separate installer, but for some reason it was not showing up in my 2014 tab.

Anyway, took the other route, and ended up with the program and activated, all that matters!

Thanks!

Sean Farr

Message 9 of 22
rdyson

Mech and Elect are both verticals of Vanilla. When you load either they have to load Vanilla in order to work. To launch Vanill, expand the Mech or Elect tab in Start menu or copy a shortcut icon to your desktop.Capture.JPG

PDSU 2016
Message 10 of 22
SeanFarr
in reply to: rdyson

hmmm...what the hell? why do they make a separate installer then?

I knew that electrical and mechanical we just tweaked versions of AuotCAD, but I never assumed that it installed the vanilla version as well. We use the Electrical version here,

Good to know for future installations, although now I have a separate folder in my start menu for AutoCAD 2014, but I don't think AutoCAD is installed twice, according to my control panel ->programs and features .

Thanks!

Sean Farr

Message 11 of 22
JDMather

@SeanFarr wrote:

..., but I don't think AutoCAD is installed twice, according to my control panel ->programs and features .

Thanks!

If your Control Panel shows Mechanical and AutoCAD you have AutoCAD installed twice.

AutoCAD Mechanical and/or AutoCAD Electrical run on top of a vanilla AutoCAD using a different profile to load a different set of tools.  A separate install of AutoCAD (vanilla) installs another AutoCAD (if that make sense).  Check the file  directories/folders.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 12 of 22
cbenner
in reply to: JDMather

I don't recall the exact message, but as I was installing I saw something like: If you want Autocad as well as Mechanical and Electrical... go here and download it.  If it's already loaded, why would they even include that?

AH!  here is the thread in which I asked about it....

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Installation-Licensing/PDS-2014-Acad-Install/m-p/3875546#U3875546

Message 13 of 22
JDMather
in reply to: cbenner

@cbenner wrote:

If it's already loaded, why would they even include that?

I think because some locations might purchase multiple licenses of vanilla and one or two network license of a vertical.
Anyone would have access to the vertical license, but only one at at time as needed.

I suspect as enough people become confused looking for vanilla AutoCAD, not realizing that they already have it in Mechanical or Electrical, Autodesk will finally place the vanilla AutoCAD download to alleviate the confusion.

I suspect that the VARs should be helping their customers on this issue.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 14 of 22
SeanFarr
in reply to: JDMather

This is insane, haha, so what your saying is, people who have both mechanical and electrical installed, probably didnt know that vanilla autocad is installed with them, installed vanilla autocad because there is a separate installer for it, and could possibly have 3 instances of AutoCAD vanilla????

Why? haha,

why wouldn't Autodesk, include vanilla autocad in the suite installers, (get rid of the separate electrical and mechanical options) and give the option to include the electrical or mechanical add-ons??

installer.png

Sean Farr

Message 15 of 22
rdyson

If you install from the suite, you only have one instance of Acad installed. (I just confirmed this)

If you install a separate copy of vanilla, you would have to install to a different drive / folder, otherwise it would overwright the Mech/Elect installation. Don't know why  anyone would do that and what it might do the the Mech/Elect profiles.

PDSU 2016
Message 16 of 22
Ray_Feiler

The Suite installer just doesn't create a shortcut for Vanilla on your desktop. It does create one in the start menu so you can copy it from there to your desktop. Hope that helps.

Product Design & Manufacturing Collection 2024
Sometimes you just need a good old reboot.
Message 17 of 22
SeanFarr
in reply to: Ray_Feiler

Well, I installed the separate installer of AutoCAD by downloading a trial version and using my serial.

My reseller had no answer for why the separate installer wasn't available, but I think the major point is why doesn't my reseller know that if you have a suite with mechanical or electrical, then you do in fact get vanilla??

So judging my this screen shot? do i have multiple versions or are these just separate shortcuts to the same program?

I never migrated any templates or projects to 2014 yet so I am not worried about lost data.

autocad.png

Sean Farr

Message 18 of 22
dgorsman

Take a look at the shortcuts, specifically the EXE each is pointing to.  The vanilla AutoCAD is probably pointing to a separate ACAD.EXE than the Electrical, the difference being the Electrical one is slightly modified to be more Electrical friendly.  Used as plain AutoCAD with nothing too fancy most won't be able to tell the difference, unless they are trying to apply an SP or hotfix.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 19 of 22
SeanFarr
in reply to: dgorsman

AutoCAD 2014 - English - AutoCAD Electrical shorcut points to

"C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2014\UserDataCache\"

And the

AutoCAD 2014 - English shortcut points to

"C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2014\UserDataCache\"

So the shortcuts point to the same program?

Sean Farr

Message 20 of 22
dgorsman

That... doesn't sound right.  They should be pointing to an EXE.  Are you looking in the "Start in", or maybe where the actual shortcut (LNK file) is located?

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report