Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Designing a revolving derringer hammer ( pics )

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
robm1983
5940 Views, 9 Replies

Designing a revolving derringer hammer ( pics )

Hi guys,

English isn't my native language, so bear with me. 🙂

I am trying to design a kind of a modern version of four barrel derringer. As you can see in the pictures below, the hammer has a rotating disc on it with a firing pin. When the hammer goes back, disk if supposed to interact with the back piece ( not sure what's the right English word for it ) and rotate 90 degrees, so that the firing pin would be positioned to strike the next round.

Yet somehow I don't feel right about the way I designed it. Even if it won't get stuck, it might make the trigger-pull rather hard and awkward...

What do you think about such design? Maybe you'd have better ideas about how to make the firing pin turn?

Thanks!

patent of an old derringer:

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
mpatchus
in reply to: robm1983

Not seeing the pictures. Smiley Mad

Mike Patchus - Lancaster SC

Inventor 2025 Beta

Alienware m17, Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10980HK CPU @ 2.40GHz 3.10 GHz, Win 11, 64gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below. 🙂
Message 3 of 10
JDMather
in reply to: mpatchus

@mpatchus wrote:

Not seeing the pictures. Smiley Mad

They show up here - but I have been having trouble off-and-on seeing pictures (even ones I attached) on the forum lately.

I would use Dynamic Simulation to analyze the mechanism - but that is an advanced topic that would probably be too difficult for that assembly to cover on a forum.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 4 of 10
mrattray

That thing will kill whoever shoots it. The partial chamber will not support the case head of the cartridge, and it will literally blow up in your face.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 5 of 10
robm1983
in reply to: mrattray

Don't worry, it won't be shooting real ammo. 🙂 This will be special 15x90mm cartridges with OC ( pepper spray ) and a .22 blank round in the back to propel it.

Message 6 of 10
mrattray

.22LR has a pressure of up to 25,000 (yes, that's twenty five thousand) PSI. That's for a standard loaded round, I'm not sure how that translates with a blank but, I would make sure to do a lot of safety research here before you end up seriously injuring yourself or someone else.

Having said that, it is a clever idea. 🙂

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 7 of 10
robm1983

No, no, the blank round is much weaker then that, basically its only a primer without any gunpowder.

By the way, there already is a similar product on the market, only 13x60 with a centerfire primer.

Message 8 of 10
mrattray

Well, it's your choice... I know there's no way I would pull that trigger.

By the way, there's only about 1/2 of a grain of pistol powder in a standard 22LR load...

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 9 of 10
robm1983

Oh, the top picture was missing a back cover that holds the rounds in place.

n1.png

Message 10 of 10
bbernadel

Is there any way I could get you to share the cad file with me?

bbernadel@hotmail.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report