Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Design to ProtoLabs can't include derived components to build a part

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
paulekas
600 Views, 9 Replies

Design to ProtoLabs can't include derived components to build a part

Hi Folks,

I am trying to submit a part design to ProtoLabs.  I used derived components to build my part which is a .IPT file.  When I send the part to ProtoLabs, they're system views the part as an assembly of 3 parts, which they cannot implement as a single part.

I've tried breaking the links so that the single .IPT file did not reference any external components and that also failed.

Here is the ProtoLabs error message (embedded in their email).

The part listed below appears to be modeled as an assembly. In order to quote, we will need a file for each individual part output in one or more of the following file formats...

Thank you,

Paul

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Hi paulekas,

If I understand correctly, you have a single part file with 3 solid bodies in it. If you use the Combine tool you can cut away the interferring parts, and then combine them into a single body. Or you might be able to use it combine them without cutting the interference first.

Model tab Modify panel Combine button

http://help.autodesk.com/view/INVNTOR/2014/ENU/?guid=GUID-FE9E8745-A15D-4C62-92CA-0FBC674C7554

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 3 of 10
MikahB
in reply to: paulekas

Is it a multibody solid IPT file or did you derive the parts in as surfaces, or?

Maybe you could export a STEP or other "dumb" format and use that instead as a workaround.
Mikah Barnett
All Angles Design
Product Design Suite Ultimate 2014
Windows 7 Professional x64
Intel i7-3770k @ 4.5GHz
32GB DDR3-2400 RAM
GeForce GTX 670 4GB
Message 4 of 10

Hi Curtis,

I've just tried this and submitted it.  It will take a while for their system to let me know if it worked or not. 

Paul

Message 5 of 10
blair

You could open the Derived part and break the link.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 6 of 10
paulekas
in reply to: blair

Hi Blair,

This one I did try and it did not work.

Thank you,
Paul
Message 7 of 10
paulekas

OK Folks,

I received back my design from ProtoLabs with a new error identifying "The feature shown in red is not attached to the part".  Seems I had missed some  features when I did the combine command and these features integrated a couple of pieces into a single body.

I made the new corrections in Inventor by combining anything else that I could find.  Once this was completed, Inventor would give me a "Professional Tip" that "Could not combine bodies.  The part must have at least 2 solid bodies."

This is a clear indication that I now have them all combined.  I expect this will work and will update you when the outcome is confirmed.

Thank you,

Paul

Message 8 of 10
JDMather

When you Derive the part you should be able have it derive as a single body?

Can you attach sample files here?

Single Body.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 9 of 10
johnsonshiue

Hi! I guess it detects there is a link to other part files and the program's logic thinks it is an assembly. Did you successfully upload a single ipt file with multiple solids and ProtoLab thinks it is indeed a part? If yes, you can go back to Inventor and us Copy Object command -> copy the bodies to Repair environment. Then, delete the Derive feature. After that, there should not be any association to the assembly.

Thanks! 

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 10 of 10
paulekas

Hi Folks,

After combining all elements, ProtoLabs successfully absorded my part into their system.

There were some alternate suggestions provided that I did not try.  

Thanks for your support.

Paul

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report