Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Design View Representations and BOM Quantities

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
reginaldmb
745 Views, 8 Replies

Design View Representations and BOM Quantities

Hi there

I am using many of the same parts in different sub-assemblies of a main assemblies.  In creating a parts list for the different sub-assemblies I am using filters to show only the relevant items.  The "View Representation" and "Ballooned Items Only" filters are quite handy.  Problem is that the quantities are not representative of the quantities for the active view representation.  How can I get around this?

thanks in advance

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
mies07
in reply to: reginaldmb

I am running into same problem - there was an older thread:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-General/Design-View-Representations-BOM-quantities/td-p/25415...

but this issue still has not been resolved as far as I can tell.

We do a lot of casework that have variations on the same theme - some with single doors, some with double doors, some with doors in front, in back, etc. We build a master factory model using skeletal modeling and create rectangular or circular patterns of door subassemblies to generate these variations, each variation captured in a representational view. The problem, of course, is the BOM - no matter what is visible in the view, all instances of the part in the master model, whether visible or not, are rolled up in the BOM.

This is not accepatble - monkeying around with the BOM and later overriding parts lists, etc defeats the whole "automated" benefit of Inventor. Surely there must be a way to filter the BOM/Parts list to only capture that which is in the representational view!

iAssemblies are not the answer, and are difficult to work with. Expecting one to create a separate, identical subassembly elements with different part numbers for each of the identical parts (front door hinge left, back door hinge left, etc) is ridiculous - but this eems to be the only way to get the BOM to come out right when using view reps.

If Solidworks can do this, I might consider going over to the dark side.

Message 3 of 9
mcgyvr
in reply to: mies07

iassemblies is the proper tool to use here when you have assemblies with similar construction but different quantity of certain parts. 

not design views. 

design views are a tool to show a single assembly in multiple views or levels of hiding parts to show specific details. 

LOD is a very similar tool but should be used as a memory management tool to hide unneeded components when working with large assemblies.

Neither are intended to modify the BOM of an assembly like iassemblies do.

It just works so much better when you use the proper tools for job at hand.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 4 of 9
reginaldmb
in reply to: mies07

Agree with you! iAssemblies is just too complicated for this. There has to be a sort of "filter" that allows one to show a BOM of only the parts as shown in the view on the .idw

Can we get someone from Autodesk to streamline this for us??

Message 5 of 9
mcgyvr

@reginaldmb wrote:

Agree with you! iAssemblies is just too complicated for this. There has to be a sort of "filter" that allows one to show a BOM of only the parts as shown in the view on the .idw

Can we get someone from Autodesk to streamline this for us??

Maybe its just your level of training.. iassemblies are very simple IMO and are the perfect tool for this and do exactly what you want..

Don't expect help from Autodesk.. The request to have the parts list filters show the proper quantity has been requsted for YEARS now.. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Message 6 of 9
reginaldmb
in reply to: mcgyvr

You might be right.  Been using Inventor for many years and although I think I am pretty good at it, I am well aware that there are many things still to learn.  My experience with iAssemblies is just that it does not cater for my needs exactly.....in other applications it might be perfect.  There are a few filters already and it just makes perfectly sense to add a few more!  Maybe if I post enough they will listen 🙂

Message 7 of 9
svacrap

Still no reaction of Autodesk, still struggle with the same problem 😞

I work on a Assamble Book for a product of my compagny. Therefor, I use supressed Parts in the main assembly to 'build' the product by steps. I work with LoD (level of details), View Rep and Tweak Components in a IPN file. The IPN tweaked file is be pladed on a IDW, ballooning over 9000 and then the problems begin;

When I ballooned a Part (for example ITEM no. 150), all the used parts, in the previous LoD's with the number 150 are indicated in the Parts list. The parts in the upper LoD's (supressed) are not indicated in the Parts List.

I need a filter that determined the quantity in the BOM depending on the ballooned items. I tried it with iLogic rules (wich, i thought can be a solution) but i haven't fix it yet. 

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Picture:

Aantal  = Quantity (QTY)

Omschrijving  =  discription

POS = ITEM number

Materiaal = Material

Tags (2)
Message 8 of 9
mcgyvr
in reply to: svacrap

@svacrap wrote:

Still no reaction of Autodesk, still struggle with the same problem 😞

Actually... They have finally added some welcomed functionality.. (I think it was in INV 2016 or 2017 I can't remember which)

You can now select a check box to "limit QTY to visible components only" when using a design view rep parts list filter..

So if you want a parts list only showing whats in the drawing view you just need to have an design view rep in the assembly with all the unwanted parts having their visibility turned off... Then voila... 

Message 9 of 9
johnsonshiue
in reply to: mcgyvr

Hi! Here is the page talking about Design View Quantity Overrides on Inventor 2017.

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/inventor-products/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2017...

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report