Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deriving a part and fixing a hole size

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
mumaga
187 Views, 3 Replies

Deriving a part and fixing a hole size

Hello everyone,

I am a newbie and trying to figure out a way to rescale an object because I found that it is too big for my experimential aparatus, but I want to retain the size of the  holes in the object (they are not just cylindrical holes, rather with some structure). I have tried deriving the .ipt file but couldnt find an option to chose which structures not to rescale. Is there anyway around this? Or should I just redesigne the whole thing?

Thanks 🙂

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
mdavis22569
in reply to: mumaga

Try Autodesk Fusion ... or if it's not an Inventor part ... and from another software you might want to use autodesk feature recognition and see if you can adjust it from there

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 3 of 4
swalton

Inventor is a history-based parametric modeler.  That means it is easy to just edit your parts to change their size if you use good modeling practice.  Do you need to keep the old part that does not fit? If you do, make a copy of it and edit the copy.

If you did not build your model part while planning for future modifications, make a new one using what you learned from your first model. 

The derive function will remove all the features from your model browser.  You will still be able to edit it, but only by creating new features, not changing existing ones. 

Post your part and desired changes and someone may take a few minutes to review it for good technique.  ALso list your version of Inventor.

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023
Message 4 of 4
johnsonshiue

I think it can be done but a bit cumbersome for sure. You first need to derive the part with the scale you like. Then use Delete Face -> Heal command to remove the holes in the derived part. Next, you can derive the same source part again as a surface body. Next, use Sculpt or Split to remove the material.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report