Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleting i-feature leaves reference parameters?

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
DewayneH
433 Views, 6 Replies

Deleting i-feature leaves reference parameters?

When a table driven i-feature is placed in a part the parameters are reference. I believe that is how it has always been.

Although, to my recollection in versions previous to 2010 when an i-feature was deleted the sketch was maintained and the parameters then became model parameters.

To test this I created a table driven i-feature from scratch to make sure it was not a migration issue.

I have include a screen shot of the deleted i-feature and the result of the parameters is shown.

Can someone please verify that prior to 2010 the parameters became model parameters or did they stay reference?

Dewayne
Inventor Pro 2023
Vault Pro 2023
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
johnsonshiue
in reply to: DewayneH

Hi! Could you do a quick test for me? Could you expand User Parameters node in Parameters dialog and see if the two Reference Parameters are being used there? If not, this might be a corruption case. Please send me the R2010 file so I can take a closer look.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 3 of 7
DewayneH
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Johnson,

There are no references to the ifeature parameters. 

Something else I have noticed (may be related) is that custom parameters from the ifeature populate the parts custom properties with the ifeature name as part of the property (see attached image). I had not seen this behavior before 2010 either.

I attached the ifeature and a part that it was inserted in for you to analyze.

Apparently .ide is not a valid extension to attach, weird.

The attached .doc is actually the .ide. I renamed the extension to get it through.

Dewayne
Inventor Pro 2023
Vault Pro 2023
Message 4 of 7
johnsonshiue

Hi! For some reason, I am not able to see the reference parameters in Parameters dialog in R2010 after the iFeature is deleted. It is possible I did not follow the steps correctly. Could you try inserting the same iFeature to a new part and deleting the iFeature? Do you still see the reference parameters?

Regarding "Test" attribute being inserted to Custom iProperties, it is actually how the column was configured. Open the IDE file and edit the author table. Switch to Properties tab and scroll to the bottom. You will see a Custom Property named Test is set to be configurable on the table.

Thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 5 of 7
DewayneH

If you delete the ifeature totally the parameters will completely be gone, but if you retain the sketch contained in the ifeature the parameters will stay as reference and are not converted to model.

Sorry if that was not clear.

Dewayne
Inventor Pro 2023
Vault Pro 2023
Message 6 of 7
johnsonshiue

Hi! I see the issue now. Indeed, in theory these reference parameters should be converted to model parameters, since they are changeable. They can be edited and modified. However, in Paramters dialog, they remain reference parameters.

I suspect there was a faulty logic leading to this behavior. It seems to have been there for a while. I will send it to development for further review.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 7 of 7
DewayneH

Out of curiosity I performed another test.

I derived a part from the part containing the i-feature.

They are listed as model parameters in the derived part box as they should be (see attached), despite being listed as reference in the part.

It seems they do fuction as they should in every asept. Just going to cause mass confusion for new users.

Dewayne
Inventor Pro 2023
Vault Pro 2023

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report