Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Default parts list style for each template type?

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
BMiller63
1505 Views, 12 Replies

Default parts list style for each template type?

I have a single company standard that contains 4 parts list styles. I use PLStyle1 only with Template 1, I use PLStyle2 only with Template 2, and so on. One PL style for each type of drawing we do. Is there any way to set the templates to default to their designated PL style by default and still have a single standard governing them all?

It seems I can't but I keep thinking I'm missing something?

Thanks in advance.
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
harco
in reply to: BMiller63

You can if the style is stored in the template, this is how we operate part- part lists and assembly- part lists.
If you use a style library then I think it will default to the one standard and the style selected when required.

I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong but this is how it seems to me.
Message 3 of 13
BMiller63

Thanks Harco.
I should have stated that I am indeed using the Style Library, which seems to be the source of the limitation I am finding.
Message 4 of 13
pauldoubet

I never really found using the Style Libraries limiting. When I go to place a parts list I select the standard and style I want from the pull down menus that appear at the top of the screen so I always get the correct style the first time. This seems much simpler to me that having multiple template files.

Just my 2 cents worth, Paul
Message 5 of 13
BMiller63

we have multiple templates for a number of reasons, all of which help stream line our detailing process. the varying parts list styles pull different properties depending upon the type of drawing it is. This is important because our PL's for each drawing are exported to .XLS files and then imported into our MRP system. If the wrong style is used and therefore the wrong properties are pulled, it throws a wrench in an otherwise smooth process.

I' was just hoping to find a more automatic solution, so that others won’t forget to switch to the right style. I have a feeling we use PL styles to a greater extent than most.
Message 6 of 13
pauldoubet

Yes, all of what you describe is within the capabilities of Parts List Styles which exist in a style library. I also have done extensive work with the BOM data and parts lists for many different purposes.

Could I answer any specific questions you may have or provide any specific examples?

Paul
Message 7 of 13
BMiller63

Thanks, I am familiar with Styles Libs, and PL styles, I was just wanting to confim that there was not a way to set a different default style per each template, when using Styles Libs, and it seems that your answer is, no it can not be done.
Message 8 of 13
SBix26

Certainly this can be done. Even though you are using the Styles Library, every drawing file has an active Standard, and all the styles that are included in that Standard are cached in the file. You merely establish four different Standards in your Library which may be identical except for the different Object Defaults for Parts List style. Then each template file has a different Standard selected as the Active Standard.
I think it took me longer to write the description than it will take to actually do it!
Sam
Message 9 of 13
BMiller63

Thanks for the reply Sam,
Unofortunatly I've considered the solution you suggest. The issue there is that this defeats the purpose of using a Style Library (IMO), in that I woud have 4 different Standards to keep in sync, which will cause issues when updating and keeping track of these changes. This would be not much different than using no styles libraries and managing 4 different templates.

Thanks for the suggestion just the same.
Message 10 of 13
SBix26

The four different Standards would have four different Object Defaults styles, which would refer to four different Parts List styles, but everything else would be identical and refer to the exact same styles. That is, the four Object Defaults refer to the same styles for every other category, so if you modify your text styles, no problem-- all of them use the same text styles, so no synching necessary. The only difficulty I can see is if you frequently add new styles or change names, then you have to make the change to each of the four Object Defaults styles separately, but that still doesn't seem like very much work unless it's very frequent.
Am I misunderstanding something?
Sam
Message 11 of 13
BMiller63

>> Am I misunderstanding something?

Nope, you've got it.

But I do have the need to manage and add styles fairly often.
Message 12 of 13
SBix26

Right, so then you just have to make the same changes to each of the four Object Defaults styles each time. I guess it's a toss-up between that and having to select a different Parts List style when you place a list from three of the four templates.
Sam
Message 13 of 13
BMiller63

>> I guess it's a toss-up between that and having to select a different Parts List style when you place a list from three of the four templates.

That's the conclusion I came to as well. I think having the user choose the style is the better of the two, even though I know they'll forget many times. I will most likely place a sketched symbol on a layer that is set not to print, that reminds them which PL to use.

Thanks again for the replies, they have helped me feel confident that I wasn't overlooking something.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report