Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Default Weldment Material

17 REPLIES 17
Message 1 of 18
Neil_Cross
6019 Views, 17 Replies

Default Weldment Material

How do.

In Weldment.iam template there is a document material called Welded Aluminum-6061 which is seemingly the default selected material when you convert a normal assembly to a weldment.  I've opened Weldment.iam, added a new document material and made that the active material but I can't remove Welded Aluminum-6061 from the doc materials.  I can't find anything in the styles or iProps which defines this material as the default, does anyone know how to stop this material from being default and how to remove it from the Weldment.iam template altogether?

Cheers

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
JoAnn_Hogan
in reply to: Neil_Cross

When you convert your assembly to a weld. The convert weld dialog box will appear. In that dialog box you can set the default weld material.

Please see my attachment

Weld Default Material.png

kelly.young has embedded your image for clarity.

If this post solved your issue please mark as solved and Kudos are always welcome 😃

Jo - Ann
Twitter: @JoAnn_Hogan
Revit Architecture Certified Professional / Revit Structure Certified Professional / AutoCAD Certified Professional
Message 3 of 18
Anonymous
in reply to: JoAnn_Hogan

Thanks, however that's not really setting the default material, the default material is 'default' meaning it's preselected by the application.  That's what I'm trying to modify.

What I'm trying to do is remove that material altogether from the application and have it preselect a different material.  I need to know where in the application it's being told to default to that specific material, so that I can change it.  

Just for further clarity, I'm very aware that you can change the material when converting to a weldment, I'm trying to make it so that I don't have to.  

Message 4 of 18
Neil_Cross
in reply to: Anonymous

Sorry, was logged in as the wrong user there!

Message 5 of 18
JoAnn_Hogan

Please have a look at this link: http://docs.autodesk.com/INVPRO/2010/ENU/Autodesk%20Inventor%202010%20Help/index.html?url=WS1a919382...

This explains how to create a weld template and adding material. I hope this helps because I seriously cant think of anything else right now

If this post solved your issue please mark as solved and Kudos are always welcome 😃

Jo - Ann
Revit Architecture Certified Professional / Revit Structure Certified Professional / AutoCAD Certified Professional
Message 6 of 18
chad38

I was  trying to figure out the exact same thing last week. Unfortunately I gave up before figuring anything out. I'll keep an eye here and hope I see a solution. Thanks for posting.

HP Z420 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E5-1603 0 @ 2.80 GHz 2.80 GHz
12.0 GB RAM
Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit
3D Connexion Space Pilot
Solid Edge ST9 MP1

Inventor Professional 2015
Autocad 2015
SolidWorks 2015
Message 7 of 18
JoAnn_Hogan
in reply to: chad38

Did you have a look at the link above?

Jo - Ann
Message 8 of 18
blair

I would try: start a new IAM file, convert it to a Weldment, in the conversion, select the correct filler material and then save the new IAM as the default weldment template.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 9 of 18
blair
in reply to: blair

Or as the Weldment Template file with the correct filler material. You could have a couple with different filler materials.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 10 of 18
chad38

Well I hadn't, but just did, and it didn't really help me, other than to get me trying again. I figured it out. I opened up my weldment template, then in the assembly tree I expanded the Welds, right clicked on the "Beads" folder, went down to iProperties, and it brought up a dialog box a tab I hadn't yet seen "weld bead", though it only set appearance properties, but on the physical tab, you can change away from the default "Aluminum-6061" to what material you prefer. So though that link didn't directly help, it inspired someone to help himself. You should be proud.

Capture.JPG

HP Z420 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E5-1603 0 @ 2.80 GHz 2.80 GHz
12.0 GB RAM
Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit
3D Connexion Space Pilot
Solid Edge ST9 MP1

Inventor Professional 2015
Autocad 2015
SolidWorks 2015
Message 11 of 18
Neil_Cross

Cheers for that. I looked at the help page but it was more about telling you what you can do, rather than how to do it. Typical state of the help pages right now.
Didn't get a chance to look any further as I'm at work and doing other stuff but I'll checkout that iProp thing tomorrow, sure I checked out all the iprops even in the bead area but I could have missed it. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone
Message 12 of 18
punisher

Neil and all,

I think I have it. In the Weldment, navigate to the Welds Collection.

Ribbon: Weld tab -> Process panel -> Welds

then

Browser: Weld group -> Beads

Pick the iProperties from the Beads context menu

You can change your material there on the Physical tab.

I really hope this helps.Inventor 2015 Weldment Bead Material.png

John Evans
Autodesk Certified Professional

http://designandmotion.net
Message 13 of 18
punisher
in reply to: punisher

I wrote this up on D&M and linked back here. If I come up with anything more useful I will update both.

Changing the Default Weldment Material on D&M.

The link should go active tonight.

John Evans
Autodesk Certified Professional

http://designandmotion.net
Message 14 of 18
ACEDeSmedt

2018, still not possible to change the default weld material when you CONVERT an assembly to a weldment?

Before the whole Material/Appearance Assets thing, you could mark Material styles as a weldment material (That was how we used to do it, only leave one or two possible choices and Inventor will default to that material when converting) but I couldn't find the property in the assets editor ...

=================================
If this is the solution, push the solution button 😉 (and maybe some kudos)
Autodesk Product Design Suit - Ultimate edition (Subscription)
Message 15 of 18
johnsonshiue
in reply to: ACEDeSmedt

Hi! It is true that Inventor no longer supports the concept of default Weldment material style since 2013. Inventor adopts the company-wide materials and appearance library. As a result, it is technically challenge to add any Inventor specific property to the styles. It is because not all Autodesk product users are doing Weldment design.

On converting a regular assembly to a weldment assembly, you will need to select the weldment material from the drop down list.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 16 of 18
b_ruijter

Running 2023, still not possible to change the default weld material when you CONVERT an assembly to a weldment?

It's time to quit the excuses and fix this please.

Message 17 of 18
0x3FA5

OMG SO SIMPLE!! AND MAKES PERFECT SENSE ALSO!

0x3FA5_0-1650982558519.png

Thank you 🙂

Message 18 of 18
Rishi-Bhardwaj

many thanks to you sir...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report